Help! Bobcat attack - ruptured air sack?

Sorry about the new hen. I just lost 3 chickens mid-afternoon last Friday to a bobcat. We only knew what kind of predator when it came back for the last body. It was my first major predator attack in 10 years. I would be concerned about a beak injury and internal injuries. Watch to see if her beak opens normally, meets together, and is straight. If you can watch to see if she will take some food by tomorrow, and continue to drink, that would be good. Scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food, and wet chicken feed can be alternated to tempt her to eat. Holding a lid or scoop up to her beak often is very helpful. Check again for any hidden wounds under her feathers. Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and Vetericyn, plus plain Neosporin ointment are good for wound care.
Treat her for shock. Electrolytes in sugar water and keep her from getting chilled.

I know bobcat attacks. I've lost a few chickens to them over the years. They will grasp the chicken in its jaws and try to sever the cervical column. You need to examine her carefully for puncture wounds. If you see them, and I'd be surprised if you don't find any, assume bacteria has been injected into her system. An oral antibiotic is a good idea or you may lose her over the next couple days to bacterial infection.

You will also need to flush the eye and to do that, you will need to gently lift the eye lid. This will also let you know if the eye is damaged. She will need the eye flushed daily and terramycin eye ointment applied twice a day. You will find that at a feed store.

Expect the bobcat to return. They always do. Be prepared.
I found some punctures, it looks like it must have grabbed her around the neck or the head. I'm spraying them with this:
20210803_184337.jpg

I do have a TS nearby, I'll go over there now. I'm nervous about syringing into her beak if she has a beak injury, which seems to be the case. Should I still do it? Anything g I should be careful of?
Were you able to find any amoxycillin at TS? Our store has been sold out for a while. If you can't find it there, you can try calling tropical fish stores in your area. Fish Mox brand seems to be sold out everywhere with a manufacturer back order, but Aqua-Mox is available some places. I bought from Allivet, but there are other online suppliers as well.
Good luck and hope she makes it!

Were you able to find any amoxycillin at TS? Our store has been sold out for a while. If you can't find it there, you can try calling tropical fish stores in your area. Fish Mox brand seems to be sold out everywhere with a manufacturer back order, but Aqua-Mox is available some places. I bought from Allivet, but there are other online suppliers as well.
Good luck and hope she makes it!
I was able to find it, it was the last bottle there! I don't know if I'm going to be able to use it though... I think she might be too far gone.

Puncture wounds mean bacteria has been injected into her tissues. She requires the antibiotic. Bacteria from any cat's mouth is of the most virulent kind, able to kill in 24 to 48 hours if untreated.

But if her mouth has been badly injured inside, it may not be possible to save her as she would die of thirst and starvation if the bacteria doesn't kill her first.

Puncture wounds mean bacteria has been injected into her tissues. She requires the antibiotic. Bacteria from any cat's mouth is of the most virulent kind, able to kill in 24 to 48 hours if untreated.

But if her mouth has been badly injured inside, it may not be possible to save her as she would die of thirst and starvation if the bacteria doesn't kill her first.
I think she's probably too far gone. The bobcat attacked her yesterday afternoon sometime, and I don't think anything was done to treat the wounds or trauma until I got her this morning. And even then, wasn't able to do a whole lot until this afternoon. It really seems like she has taken a turn, she won't keep her eyes open, like she's lost the will to live. But like you're saying, it's possible that even if she had been treated right away, her mouth might just be too damaged. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it. I think I'll be better prepared the next time something like this happens.

Sorry about the new hen. I just lost 3 chickens mid-afternoon last Friday to a bobcat. We only knew what kind of predator when it came back for the last body. It was my first major predator attack in 10 years. I would be concerned about a beak injury and internal injuries. Watch to see if her beak opens normally, meets together, and is straight. If you can watch to see if she will take some food by tomorrow, and continue to drink, that would be good. Scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food, and wet chicken feed can be alternated to tempt her to eat. Holding a lid or scoop up to her beak often is very helpful. Check again for any hidden wounds under her feathers. Chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) and Vetericyn, plus plain Neosporin ointment are good for wound care.
Treat her for shock. Electrolytes in sugar water and keep her from getting chilled.

I know bobcat attacks. I've lost a few chickens to them over the years. They will grasp the chicken in its jaws and try to sever the cervical column. You need to examine her carefully for puncture wounds. If you see them, and I'd be surprised if you don't find any, assume bacteria has been injected into her system. An oral antibiotic is a good idea or you may lose her over the next couple days to bacterial infection.

You will also need to flush the eye and to do that, you will need to gently lift the eye lid. This will also let you know if the eye is damaged. She will need the eye flushed daily and terramycin eye ointment applied twice a day. You will find that at a feed store.

Expect the bobcat to return. They always do. Be prepared.
I'm so sorry for both of your losses. Thank you so much for your help, I had everything you suggested ready to go/I went out and got it, but I think it was too little too late this time. I'm taking this learning experience to be better prepared in case something like this happens to my flock.

I didn't think we would be here, but she is still alive and really seeming to be improving. She's opening both eyes (not all the way yet, but enough to see out of!) and this morning she's been eating (crumbles watered down with Nutridrench) and drinking on her own! I'm still putting the eye drops in her eyes and spraying the Vetericyn on her wounds, which seem to be doing really well. I'm also giving her both plain water and water with Nutridrench, she seems more excited about the plain water. Her beak is looking SO much better, no more mucous inside and it doesn't seem to be broken or damaged. I think she had swelling around her neck (where the bobcat grabbed her) and it seems like the swelling is going down so it's easier to drink and slurp up some food. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Not the update I was expecting. Great news! She's got a long way to go, though.

Were you able to give her any antibiotics?
Not the update I was expecting to give.

I haven't been able to give her the antibiotics. I was too concerned about her beak being damaged, I didn't want to make it worse or further traumatize her.

Back
Top Bottom