Help! Bobcats attacking my chickens!!

That's a pretty bobcat pic.
wink.png

i saw a trap at TSC it had a cage you could put a chicken in and then leave it for the bobcat. but the chciken was in a change its self so the bobcat could not eat the chicken when it whet into the cage!

Hi, I'm new here, too, and also have a bobcat problem. I also have an infant, and not much time to do a proper intro (promise to do so soon!).

This cat has come twice, during the day, to take our chickens. First time, they were free ranging on our back hill (not fenced). Second time, the cat got into the protected area (not sure how -- either through bird netting or through wire fence). Both times, the bobcat came right up to our kitchen window to snatch the bird. He is apparently fearless! We have a secure coop (~6ft tall x 6ft long x 4ft wide) and have now put the five chickens left inside all day and night. I can't imagine keeping our chickens "cooped up" for long. Anyone have any ideas how we can protect them while they're outside? Will the bobcat give up eventually and not return (we haven't seen him in a couple weeks)? I read a pp saying it is not possible to trap the bobcat. Yet it seems many are trying.

Thanks for any additional advice and to the op: I hope you have found a solution!

Recently, I saw a program on TV where they caught a Bobcat that was becoming a nuisance. They set the trap up, and they put a branch or two over it, and in the end of the trap, they had a live rabbit that was actually in another section of the cage, so it wouldn't be hurt.

And here's something interesting: They hung a turkey feather very near the trap. The turkey feather blowing in the wind attracted the bobcat to the area! Let me know if you need a turkey feather....

They caught that bobcat that very week!

In order for any of us to asses your situation, we need more information. Do you live in an urban or a rural setting? There are two distinctions in bobcat behavior, based on the population density of humans. Bobcats will hunt day, night, and any time inbetween.

OP, has he attacked and killed multiple birds at once, or is he picking them off one by one?

Bobcats have HUGE territories in rural settings, and they have multiple dens they use throughout. They may frequent one den for a few days, then move on to the next throughout the year making them very hard to trap or even spot.

My second question to you is where are you located? Laws for bobcats vary from state to state, and your next available course of action will be determined by your local laws.

How often is the cat attacking? How many chickens do you have, how long has the bobcat been in the area?

I am sorry to hear about your losses. It is never fun to lose feathered friends
sad.png

However, the solution is simple.

Next time you see the mongrel, gun him down with no guilt. It's one bobcat's life or the lives of however many chickens you have.

Quote:
Unless he is protected in your state. No loss of birds is worth jail time or hefty fines, and trust me, Game Wardens (the ones in charge of critters like bobcats) have a LOT of clout and power. Personally, I would like to see you talk to a local wildlife rehabber or trapper first. But if it comes down to it, and that is the decission you make, please talk to your parks and wild department to see what the regulations are FIRST. Then consider that the weather this year has made for a very strange reproductive season for almost all animals. At this time of year, it is very possible that you have a mother trying to provide for her cubs. If you dispatch her, her defenseless cubs will starve to death.

Quote:
My trap is similar to the one at TSC. I bought it 11 years ago and it`s worth it`s weight in gold. If you have bobcat problems, either use part of a chicken carcass for bait or a live chicken, duck, etc. The feather sounds like a winner also. Here`s my catch. The only bobcat to ever bother my fowl. Most of my problems have been coons........Pop

IMGP0481.jpg

Quote:
My trap is similar to the one at TSC. I bought it 11 years ago and it`s worth it`s weight in gold. If you have bobcat problems, either use part of a chicken carcass for bait or a live chicken, duck, etc. The feather sounds like a winner also. Here`s my catch. The only bobcat to ever bother my fowl. Most of my problems have been coons........Pop

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Spansil/IMGP0481.jpg

Thats a good trap, i got an old small one and it is wonderful , but the big TSC trap is a peice of poo, the henged door is flimsy and anything can get out of it,my dog did as well as a bob cat, the smaller traps are ok but ya aint gona catch bob in that.

I got enough dogs now that bobs don't come calling for ducks anymore.

Quote:
eta: we have a german shorthaired pointer mix. would he be able to keep bobcat away if we tied him up outside?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom