HELP!!! Broken egg on 19th day

Aliceluvschicks

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2018
i have an egg that is due in two days and i was opening the incubator (which i know im not supposed to do in lockdown but i have a staggered hatch) and the incubator lid fell on an egg and its really badly cracked and had a little trail of blood. i feel terrible as this is my first major accident and ive been hatching eggs for about 8 years now. is there any possibility if it surviving or anything i can do?

PLEASE HELP!!!

i have an egg that is due in two days and i was opening the incubator (which i know im not supposed to do in lockdown but i have a staggered hatch) and the incubator lid fell on an egg and its really badly cracked and had a little trail of blood. i feel terrible as this is my first major accident and ive been hatching eggs for about 8 years now. is there any possibility if it surviving or anything i can do?

PLEASE HELP!!!
It is possible for it to survive if it does not lose too much blood.

I had tossed a turkey egg that my turkey hen had abandoned. It broke when it landed and two little feet and legs were sticking out and kicking. I rescued the egg, saw that the yolk had been absorbed, peeled the remaining shell off and put it in the hatcher along with another egg that was internally pipped.

The rescued poult could not use its legs to right itself and was placed in a "cup" to keep it upright while it regained use of its legs. The next day it was joined by its sibling that hatched fine. After a couple of days it was okay and both poults were placed in a brooder. After a couple more days they were eating, drinking and walking fine. I then gave both to their mother and their 10 other siblings. Within moments it was impossible to tell them from any of the others.

Good luck.

i have an egg that is due in two days and ...... is there any possibility if it surviving or anything i can do?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Take a deep breath. Stuff happens.

I would wrap the egg in a paper towel and leave it alone. The vessel system is supposed to be drying out in preparation for hatching. In two days you could dampen the paper towel and allow the chick to try and hatch normally.

I know you feel guilty. Been there, done that. Leave the egg alone. Really. I’m not trying to be harsh, just firm.

It is possible for it to survive if it does not lose too much blood.

I had tossed a turkey egg that my turkey hen had abandoned. It broke when it landed and two little feet and legs were sticking out and kicking. I rescued the egg, saw that the yolk had been absorbed, peeled the remaining shell off and put it in the hatcher along with another egg that was internally pipped.

The rescued poult could not use its legs to right itself and was placed in a "cup" to keep it upright while it regained use of its legs. The next day it was joined by its sibling that hatched fine. After a couple of days it was okay and both poults were placed in a brooder. After a couple more days they were eating, drinking and walking fine. I then gave both to their mother and their 10 other siblings. Within moments it was impossible to tell them from any of the others.

Good luck.
ahhh, thank you so much. this gives me hope and im glad your turkey is doing well. thank you. :)

Take a deep breath. Stuff happens.

I would wrap the egg in a paper towel and leave it alone. The vessel system is supposed to be drying out in preparation for hatching. In two days you could dampen the paper towel and allow the chick to try and hatch normally.

I know you feel guilty. Been there, done that. Leave the egg alone. Really. I’m not trying to be harsh, just firm.
Thank you i will do that. i hope this works and im very thankful for your help.

You are welcome!

I recall someone talking about taping shut a hole, but that was much earlier in the incubation process. They wanted to keep out bacteria and keep the egg closed during the chick’s first efforts at stretching.

A little piece of tape to keep the paper towel wrapped could give you peace of mind if others are hatching (and playing soccer with their hatchmates!).

hi, sadly it did not hatch and i even waited a few days after incase the damage had slowed the process. as some of the shell was missing i also upped the humidity. although it did not make it this has taught me not to let my guard down after a few successful hatches.

Back
Top Bottom