HELP Broody hens!

B3TH

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 21, 2014
Hi everyone!!
We are new to broody hens so would be very grateful for any help!
So we started off with 4 Bantams (all hens). We then went out and saw some chicks for sale so we decided to buy 3. They are all hens and they are full sized chickens however we weren't told the breed but I will upload some pics. When they were around the same size as the Bantams we introduced them and they now live together happily with the occasional peck from the Bantams. However recently 2 of our Bantams have gone broody:/. They spend all day in the nest box. However when they do come out for some food and water, the broody's will try to attack the 3 chickens (not too badly) however one of the non-broody bantams will really attack one of the broody's (confusing right?) Anyway this is really sad to see as she is a lot smaller and she will walk round the run with her wings out making noise. If anyone could give me some advice on what t
o do, should we seperate the broody's from the rest off the flock, and also should we remove the eggs from under the broodys straight away?
Please help!!

I only had one experience w/ broody. My white leghorn decided to get broody last April, I kicked her out of the nest to the run everyday for a week to make sure she has food and water, since she won't leave the nest she was loosing weight. She gave up after the 10th day, and to my surprise got back to egg laying 2 wks after.
I have read that you should put them in a wire cage and hang it few inches from the ground to cool them off. I also heard some people gave cold baths to their broodies to arrest the urge to sit. Hopefully you find an effective technique for yours.

My lead hen goes broody A LOT!!! She is the definite ruler when she isnt broody, however, when she is broody her whole demeanor changes so much that many of the lower hens will try and face off with her when she is off the nest. Its almost as if they dont recognize her. She is normally a very sweet bird that rules with a soft wing, lol. When she is broody though i call her Angry Bird because she hates everything and everyone! If you dont want them to set eggs then take them off the nest every chance you get. Sometimes this is enough to get them over it.

Hi, This sounds just like mine! The lower hens will attack and pull out her feathers. Am I just being to soft? Should I just let it be. How long are they usually broody for, most the time there are no eggs for them to lay on!:lol:

Im a softie too! It tears my nerves up when they arent getting along.. If you cant break them from being broody they can stay broody for quite a while! Once your layers are finished for the day you could try blocking off the nest boxes so they cant get in them maybe. With my girls it seems the longer they have been broody the longer it takes to get them over it.

Haha oh no! I'm guessing my two are going to be broody for quite a while then.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom