Help - Broody Mumma doesn't know what her chicks are...

This mornings update..

The chicks slept under the Mumma last night and were up and climbing all over her this morning which she didn't seem to mind too much. All of the chicks then left the broody box and went and ate the chick starter, but, Mum was no where in sight - she is still sitting in her box with nothing under her... 82658265, I think you're right, she is on strike
idunno.gif

It seems from your answers that as long as they are eating and drinking and in a safe area and Mum isn't pecking them it should be ok... which is the case. We will just try and show them what to do in the food and drink department (thanks DAFox
wink.png
).
Should we do anything to try and get Mum up? Or should we just leave her until she is ready?

To answer a few of the questions above - Yes, its her first hatch, the chicks are now 3 days old and its warm in Sydney (Australia) at the moment and so they should be fine funning around unsupervised and unwarmed.

I am off to work and hoping they bond during the day. When I get home I will post some pictures of the reluctant Mum and her peeps.

Thanks everyone, you have made an anxious first timer feel better!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Good! Sounds like everything is going to be OK. She just panicked kind of like when the Princess and I brought our first child home:lol:.

I hope things are sorting themselves out.

Leave the chicks with her if she is not aggressive towards her and she will probably get the message.

If she becomes too nasty when she finally leaves the nest you may have to separate her form them.

Try to make sure momma hen is eating and drinking too, as being hungry/thirsty can make them mean.

Good Luck,

sandie

Looking forward to the pics. Not to be an alarmist (ok, I'm a worry wort) but I'd pick her up and give her a good going over to make sure she's just being a confused first timer and there is nothing wrong. You might also put a plate of scrambled eggs out for the new family. The chicks will enjoy the treat and if anything will tempt them hen off the nest that should do the trick--a good high protien treat like the scrambled eggs would be good for her too after sitting for so long.

Last edited:
Poor mum might still be wicked broody and wanting to hatch out more eggs! Yes she did her job with the 3 new ones but "she" isnt done yet...the way they are living now is sperfect as long as you can see babies eating and drinking:)

Morning all,

Lilly (Mother's name) and her peeps are doing well, although Lilly still seems broody and doesn't want to leave the broody box. The chicks are eating and drinking after our instruction.
I was able to get Lilly up this morning and took the below picture - she is no longer freaked out by them or tries to run away as was originally happening (see video -
- we took of her first encounter with one of her babies).
They were all eating together and acting like a happy family, it only lasted 5 minutes before Mum retreated to her broody box again.

69758_lilly_and_chicks.jpg

Kittymomma, I gave her a check over and she seems fine, is there anything specific I should be looking for? It however seems as sonew123 said - "she" doesn't think she is done hatching eggs. She now (after a slow start) seems a good mother when she gets up, but, she doesn't want to do it.

Again thanks everyone for your help!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
awwww the video is so sad! watching her run away and peck at her babies :-( If it persists, I would take the babies and put them in a brooder.

Last edited:
I know - it was sad and that was what had me so worried...

The above photo was taken today which shows a happier family, she wasn't running away or pecking, in fact she was helping them eat so I think they are growing on her
clap.gif
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif

The problem now is for her to start caring for them and stop being broody, but, with our help the chicks are eating and drinking regularly.

Back
Top Bottom