Help! Broody pecked hole in egg under her

Bluebellhoney

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
I have a very vigilant Wyandotte sitting on 19 eggs (it’s a long story)
Two hatched late yesterday and she is still sitting tight on the others, but she had done a big poop in there this morning so I had to lift her off to clean it.

She was very angry and pecking at me wildly and got one of her eggs!!

She has pecked a hole in it- I can see chicky breathing inside! She has broken the membrane too. What shall I do? Can I do anything to save it? Judging by earlier candling, I’m expecting it to hatch any day now, I am guessing it’s 20 days today and it’s a silkie egg.

She is so very determined that she doesn’t even get off to poop- I have been clearing her poops away and feeding her some greens and feed on the nest- presumably she is getting off for water, she won’t take any when I offer it. She isn’t showing any signs of leaving the nest yet and shouts at her 2 chicks when they emerge.

Edited to add- I put the egg straight back under her

I have a very vigilant Wyandotte sitting on 19 eggs (it’s a long story)
Two hatched late yesterday and she is still sitting tight on the others, but she had done a big poop in there this morning so I had to lift her off to clean it.

She was very angry and pecking at me wildly and got one of her eggs!!

She has pecked a hole in it- I can see chicky breathing inside! She has broken the membrane too. What shall I do? Can I do anything to save it? Judging by earlier candling, I’m expecting it to hatch any day now, I am guessing it’s 20 days today and it’s a silkie egg.

She is so very determined that she doesn’t even get off to poop- I have been clearing her poops away and feeding her some greens and feed on the nest- presumably she is getting off for water, she won’t take any when I offer it. She isn’t showing any signs of leaving the nest yet and shouts at her 2 chicks when they emerge.

Edited to add- I put the egg straight back under her
As long as there is only a small hole in the egg, it should be okay.

Yes. If the incubation was almost done already, there's a good chance of the chick making it just fine.
Oh phew, that has made me happy- I will leave her well alone for today and keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for replying so quickly!

Back
Top Bottom