1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Broody? white leghorn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by golfcoursechix, Nov 17, 2012.

1. golfcoursechix

golfcoursechix New Egg

Nov 14, 2012
    Thanks for this great website! Ihave a 9month old white leghorn that was producing an egg a day for the last 2 months then all of a sudden stopped.. though she was egg bound but i feel nothing unusual near the vent.. i noticed shes ALWAYS on the nest box over another hen's egg.. i shoo her off and retrive the egg(s) but the same every day.. any suggestions?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

I think your hen may be broody. Is she aggressive when you remove the eggs? Puffed up and screeches at you?

3. golfcoursechix

golfcoursechix New Egg

Nov 14, 2012
    Thanks for the help.. She makes some funny noises but doesn't peck or become aggressive, I just push her off and take the egg .. She even sleeps in the box at night

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That doesn't sound right. If she's not broody she might be egg bound...

5. daisy06

daisy06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    When some of my hens get broody, they don't seem aggressive.

6. golfcoursechix

golfcoursechix New Egg

Nov 14, 2012
    I dont know what i'm looking for if she's egg-bound.. she looks ok, I figured she would look sick or something..
    i looked some stuff up about how to break the broodiness.. but i dont want any more chicks
    i did get my hens (6 of them) for egg laying and she hasnt laid in over a week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by