Broody or Moody?

SarahDier

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2023
I have a 6 month old White Leghorn that started laying recently. The last couple days she has gone to her nesting box and spent up to 4 hours in it. The first day she finally jumped out all frantic/upset without having laid an egg. Yesterday she spent another 4+ hours in the box and every time another bird would come to look in on her, she would make this really strange aggressive sound until they left. When I looked in on her, her eyes were wide open like she was in a trance or something. I tried offering her a treat and she snapped at me. I've never seen this behavior in any of them before. She eventually laid an egg and left the nest making a big vocal fuss about her achievement, and that was that. Is she becoming broody or just moody?

She's just a girl that's really passionate about protecting her space while laying. I've never had a girl need 4 hours to lay an egg though, do you supplement with oyster shells or give any sort of calcium to them?

She's just a girl that's really passionate about protecting her space while laying. I've never had a girl need 4 hours to lay an egg though, do you supplement with oyster shells or give any sort of calcium to them?
I do have a thing of oyster shells out for them.

Back
Top Bottom