Help!! Buff orp is not right!!

phelpcd1

Songster
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
I need help.....one of my buffs.....the most active and vocal one....suddenly today has not wanted to eat or talk at all. She is staying away from the others and seems like she is trying to cackle but can't...almost like wheezing. We can't see anything obvious and not sure what to do if anything? Her crop is not hard like impaction......nothing coming from nose or mouth either....any ideas?

Ok my hen has some white fluid oozing from the ears and she won't go to her coop.....seems to be hard for her to breath....not sure if she's gonna make it

Ok my hen has some white fluid oozing from the ears and she won't go to her coop.....seems to be hard for her to breath....not sure if she's gonna make it
She needs antibiotics asap. There are several diseases it could be,and they are contagious,watch your other chickens for symptoms. It could also be an inner ear infection,which is affecting her respiratory system

Last edited:
Thanks..........she did end up going into her coop last night which surprised me........and we found something on the internet about it possibly being she ate a wasp or stinging type bug etc. But....can't do anything, I went out just now and she's dead in the coop. Very strange! What diseases does that sound like? I will research and see if one fits and watch the others.

I would look into her throat for something that got lodged in there or the crop. Necropsy can tell you a lot about birds when they die. Sorry about your chicken.

Last edited:
Ya, once my husband gets back, I'll see if he can check her out some -she is pretty stiff tho. Since this is my first loss..........what do you do with a dead chicken? Should I have our vet dispose of her? The smell of putting her in our trash for several hot days doesn't appeal to me!

You could wrap her in a couple of trash bags securely, put it in the freezer, then put it in the trash on the day. Most people would incinerate or bury the carcass if they lived outside a neighborhood. Your vet may charge a fee to dispose of the chicken.

Thanks........he ended up wrapping and taping her up in paper, then in plastic and out into the trash. No room in freezer - yes when we live at our country place, we would just burn. Poor girl....she was so vocal and obnoxious but I liked her anyway. Hope my other 3 won't be showing signs......at least now we know to put them out of misery if they do.

This video (not mine) is exactly what Lucy was doing yesterday!!! Same movement and noise etc. Does anyone know what this is?

Back
Top Bottom