Help! Bump On Baby Emus Beak

emupriya

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Within the last couple of days I have noticed a bump about the size of a small pea on my 4 week old emus beak. At first I assumed this was either a egg tooth or he just had a different shaped beak, as I do not remember my older emu having this when he was younger. However, today I examined it closer and there appears to be a tiny hole, slightly crusty with maybe blood. My guesses are either he poked himself, which is possible, or there is some parasite/larvae living in his beak. Our older emu has also unfortunately pecked him on the beak/head a few times, so that is another possibility. Does anyone have any idea about what this could be and how I can help??
9F48BA9F-C4C8-4B32-B066-2426B367DC6E.jpeg
567767BB-EABE-43E7-A559-D65F16DF1A4C.jpeg
91059E84-A07A-4B99-A2DA-9F59EAB47E87.jpeg

Last edited:

The name of the chick closest is 'Das Beakie Cheeper' because he has a 'Roman nose.' Your chick's bump seems a little bigger, but not much.

I recall one other chick with a Roman nose.

But there does seem to be something going on with Chick's beak -- it's great that the photo is so very good.

Emus can and do score astonishingly accurate beak-to-beak pecks. It always amazes me.

If you give the hole a little push -- pressure it -- does Chick react as though in pain?

Wait and see if U.S. breeders turn up with more specific information. And watch and wait.

Supreme Emu

Last edited:

The name of the chick closest is 'Das Beakie Cheeper' because he has a 'Roman nose.' Your chick's bump seems a little bigger, but not much.

I recall one other chick with a Roman nose.

But there does seem to be something going on with Chick's beak -- it's great that the photo is so very good.

Emus can and do score astonishingly accurate beak-to-beak pecks. It always amazes me.

If you give the hole a little push -- pressure it -- does Chick react as though in pain?

Wait and see if U.S. breeders turn up with more specific information. And watch and wait.

Supreme Emu
Okay, that makes the most sense. When I pressed on it he immediately pulled away so I am assuming it hurt. I will continue to clean it and keep an eye on him. Thanks for the info, Das Beakie Chipper is beautiful!

Well, my Unsolicited Advice is:

non-slip flooring. More exercise -- outdoors -- than most non-wild chicks get. Feed Chick all it will eat.

Keep observing.

And post a little report for us in a few weeks.

Supreme Emu

[Seven emus here this morning.]

Back
Top Bottom