Help! Call Ducks Due!

CajunPeeps

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
White Castle, LA
I am in seek of advice, wisdom, and knowledge. I have 2 Snowy Call Ducks due to hatch tomorrow night. Tonight is day 25. I started out with 3, but lost 1 going in to lockdown. It had stopped moving and the veins were disappearing and turning a dark brown color. I had suspected for a while that this one would be lost. Let me start from the beginning. At first, they all started to develop on one side of the egg. Veins were only growing around one side and the duck appeared to favor that side will the other side looked clear. As they continued to grow, I found the air cells were not growing a great deal past around day 14. The air cell did not grow much at all pass day 10 for the one that died. They were in with chicken eggs and the air cells on those were right on target. I live in Louisiana where it stays humid. The humidity in the bator was fluctuated between 30 & 40% most days. All 3 ducks were extremely active up until lockdown. All 3 appeared to have some small green spots pop up. It looked like maybe fecal spots, did not know if they are supposed to poopwhike developing. The one that passed also developed a small red dot inside the shell around day 16. On day 23, at lockdown I found the one dead but the other 2 still moving. I removed the dead one and layed the other 2 on their side with the dip in air cell on top. I raised humidity to 75% which I now realize is a little on high side. Out of 2 in lockdown, one did start to fill the entire shell and still had good movement. The other concerns me. It was still only developed on mainly one side. It appeared to have restricted movement unlike the other. I fear I will also lose this one. I did open up the one that passed. The duckling was fully formed and looked good. There was not an extreme amount of clear liquid that came out and the yolk was in tact. What should I watch for to try and prevent loss of the other 2? The temp has been a steady 100 since lockdown. I have been having trouble getting it to stay at 102 since lockdown. It was steady before. I have 5 more developing in another bator and want to make sure my mistakes are not repeated with these. Also, what could have been cause of death?

Last edited:
It did not make it. I found my thermometers were off by a great deal. I think the temp was probably low the majority of the time. I bought a brinsea spot check and a better hygrometer. Gonna set the ones I have now laying down tomorrow and start turning them by hand and sponging them. I read your methods on your site. Hoping for better luck with these. That was my first time trying to hatch calls. I have a trio of snowys and am determined to get it right. We just love them.
GRRR I was afraid of that, sorry for your lost, I was hoping he could hang in there until today and for sure he would have had to come out. DANG,

Good to know that the gages were off, because now you can get those fixed and have a MUCH better hatching. WELCOME TO THE CALL DUCK CHALLENGE. keep at it you can only get better and better.

With my methods only pick one, don't try to combine two together because that will totally mess things up..

Ok so this "call duck" is almost 3 months old and as big or bigger then the others. I'm not sure if he's actually a call. Someone please help. I'm pretty sure it's a he because of the green coming in on his head. But I'm not sure if he's maybe a cross? He was from a breeder I got him as a 3 week old

the green could be sticky egg which also might explain why one might have constricted movements

keep in mind u could have late bloomers but dont stress i want to tell u to candel until u dont see any connecting veins or blood vessels to be sure they have grown into the whole egg and are ready to hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom