Help! Can chickens die from poultry lice!!!!!

After bathed the rooster, he is stumbling around his pen and ht little hens are just standing there kinda ruffles up, I am kinda worried about them, I can post a pic, the rooster looks like he's drunk and the ladies look like there gonna pass outs it the permethrin, they were fine before the bath! Please help!!!!

After bathed the rooster, he is stumbling around his pen and ht little hens are just standing there kinda ruffles up, I am kinda worried about them, I can post a pic, the rooster looks like he's drunk and the ladies look like there gonna pass outs it the permethrin, they were fine before the bath! Please help!!!!
If they were mine I would not bathe them, because bathing them can kill them. Only very healthy birds should be bathed, and they should be bathed in warm water and dried very quickly with a hair dryer.

There shivering, could it be because there cold? These are the little ladies.
they are a little bit more active now, what do you think? @castropony
IMG_0897.jpeg

Is there something that can be put in the coop and run before putting our chicks in to prevent lice from happening at all?
No.
Insecticides should not be used preventatively as it can cause resistance.
Just try to keep wild birds and rodents out of your coop and run.
Have the proper treatments on hand and examine your birds regularly for bugs.

Check them over regularly and real well for mites and/or lice.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Omg, I am so mad! Someone from BYC told me to bathe them! I should have done more research! We dried them and its pretty warm here, about 60-70 degrees off and on. They are completely dry now but still huddled together and not moving much. They are much more alert though. Should I keep hair drying them, or should I leave them. I am kinds freaking out! Thanks sooooo much! Avery

Back
Top Bottom