Help! Can chickens die from poultry lice!!!!!

Thank you soooooo much everyone! Sorry for the late response, we ended up going to my grandparents for the weekend just because we where getting the chickens today on the way home. I have purchased permethrin spray, and dust. I d as m not planning on using DE because it’s mites apparently on lice. But do you think I could get the Ivomectin form tractor supply? I gave never seen it i our local feed stores but it’s very expensive on amazon. If I find it at a reasonable price I will defend get it. I also have double sided tape for roosts and plenty of bag bomb. I will also bathe them in the flea shampoo. I know we probably won’t be able to save my grandparents chickens, but I can post some pics of there living area/coop and how infested they are when I pick up the hens and rooster to take home! Thanks again for all the help! Avery

I have always dusted my birds with diatomaceous earth for mild lice infestations. However, in very severe cases (which looks like yours are), I got a medication called Ivomec from my avian vet. This medication saved the lives of any severely infected birds that I ever had. It worked quickly. I think you can get it over the counter, but I got it from a vet in order to know exactly how much to give, as if you give too much (depending on the weight of the bird), it can be toxic and even lethal. Also, there is a withdrawal period (anywhere from 7 to 21 days depending on dose) during which you should not eat any eggs from the medicated bird, as you do not want Ivomec in your system! Same goes if you butcher for meat, but withdrawal is at least 25 days. Anyway, if you use Ivomec, I strongly encourage you to get it from an avian vet so you can get the proper dosage and appropriate withdrawal time. I hope this information helps, and I do hope your birds will recover soon!

We can get oral and pour on ivermectin here, we don't need a vet. Either can be used, but the bird should be weighed.

The pour-on ivermectin dose is 0.1 ml per pound topically.
$20 https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-ivermectin-pour-on-250-ml

The 1% injectable dose is 0.05 ml per pound *orally*.
$37 https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-ivermectin-injection-1-sterile-solution-50-ml

According to a vet, egg withdrawal for any amount of ivermectin is 8 weeks.

Since these are red roost mites, not lice, I strongly recommend that the birds and the coop be treated ASAP with permethrin, not ivermectin, and definitely not DE.

Thanks, i wa just doing research about all the recommended products. That was on of them, we have an infestation a try grandparents so i want to have the best options! :D Thanks for the opinion!
You need to use permethrin, and you need to treat remove all bedding from the coop and spray it thoroughly. I mean every surface, nook and cranny, then you need to spray the birds.

Thanks you so much! I am gonna pick up the Permethrin from the tractor supply! I will not use ivermectin because its more expensive, and more people suggest it! I will get down to my grand parents this week to treat the birds. While I am gone they are working on cleaning the coop out. Thanks you so much for all the help!

Hey guys, just got done successfully bathing the new chickens and was spraying with permethrin, and noticed the rooster had poultry lice on his chest! They were clinging to his feathers, but when i was at my grand parents they defiantly had red mites in there coop. I tried to get a pic of the lice but the camera wouldn't focus. So now they have poultry lice and red mites? will the permethrin kill both? I sprayed every louse I saw, what should I do!!!

Back
Top Bottom