Help! Can chickens die from poultry lice!!!!!

Pics
okay, I think I have some lice shampoo. So first I will bath them in the lice shampoo, and spray ounce a week, coop and chickens. Change bedding twice a week and add permeithin powder to the cleaned out nest boxes. Than after a few days treatment, I will transfer the Rooster, who is worse than the hens, to a mite free kennel to sleep in at night. i will continue these steps until the mites have disappeared, or 4 weeks? How that sound, I am so great fun for your help, I never would have thought of the permerithin if I hadn't posted this! Thanks so so so so, much! Avery

okay, I think I have some lice shampoo. So first I will bath them in the lice shampoo, and spray ounce a week, coop and chickens. Change bedding twice a week and add permeithin powder to the cleaned out nest boxes. Than after a few days treatment, I will transfer the Rooster, who is worse than the hens, to a mite free kennel to sleep in at night. i will continue these steps until the mites have disappeared, or 4 weeks? How that sound, I am so great fun for your help, I never would have thought of the permerithin if I hadn't posted this! Thanks so so so so, much! Avery
I usually spray weekly for a month and it has been good. I stop then so the mites won't develop a resistance to the permethrin. Only in more recent years have I had issues with mites. I went for many years with nothing. I'm doing a spraying currently. I just did my 2nd weekly spray. I'll spray again next week. I'm also spraying because there have been more flies lately and it helps to eliminate the flies too. I'll put the poultry dust in the nest boxes tomorrow. I have been putting the dust in the nest boxes weekly too.

Awesome thank you! I will post pics when the new ladies and rooster come home! Thanks you guys so much! I would have treated this completely wrong and still though it was POULTRY LICE when it was actually red mites! I am so grateful that i posted this! Thanks so much! Avery

I have never dealt with any mites or lice. I am new to having chickens.
I like to read about problems so I can be prepared and because it's always so very interesting!
Whenever I have had a problem or question myself, I always pay more attention to to the people who have been members here the longest. They always seem to know more than the rest. I've seen a lot of good advice from the folks that have been doing this "chicken life" the longest. Looks like you are on your way to healthy chickens!

@Weeg don't give your address, but are you in the US?
Do you have a Tractor Supply or similar store?

I would get some Permethrin 10 concentrate, a garden sprayer and a hand held spray bottle.
Mix the Permethrin according to the label on the back for treatment of poultry housing - mix that up in the garden sprayer and spray the coop. Clean out all the bedding, then spray the housing making sure you treat the whole coop including ceiling, nesting boxes, roosting bars, etc. If possible, do this early in the morning, so the spray is dried by roosting time.

There's also labeling for use on the chickens themselves, mix that up and put it in the hand held sprayer and treat the birds.

It's nice that you are trying to help out your Grandparents. Do the best you can and don't stress out.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
This is exactly what I use.

CostLocationItem
$8​
gordons_6.png
$4​
spray bottle.jpg
$16​
sprayer.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom