Help!! Can I fit more hens in my coop/run???

Kmath

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2015
Canada
We currently have 6 hens in a 4x4 coop with a 8x8 run. It appears to be plenty of space. We have an option to grab 6 more tomorrow and wondering if we could fit them in there? It's just temporarily for about 2 months. Our run is fenced all around but we thought to tarp the top and put a roost outside.... What are your opinions!?!

No it's not metres. It's feet. There is still room left on the roosts and I can fit another roost since the coop is 5 feet high. ??

I have 5 hens in a 4x4 coop with an 8x12 run and consider myself maxed out. The general wisdom is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop (with 5 I am a bit tight) and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. If you go much less than that, you can have problems with feather picking and canibalism.

I have 5 hens in a 4x4 coop with an 8x12 run and consider myself maxed out. The general wisdom is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop (with 5 I am a bit tight) and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. If you go much less than that, you can have problems with feather picking and canibalism.

x2 and those figures are the minimum requirements!

How old are the chickens? If you have very young ones and the new ones are also very young and you will absolutely be moving them to a much larger house in 2 months you may be able to get away with it. I had a 4x4 coop with a 6x12 run and could only keep 3 adult laying hens in it. The outside roost will to roost outside which can be a difficult habit to break and would invite break in attempts from predators.

You will be quarantining the newcomers right?

If you are quarantining them then you would have 2 houses and 2 runs and not right next to each other. By the end of quarantine the 2 months would be close to up.

That is my input. I hope it helps.

Babs

We currently have 6 hens in a 4x4 coop with a 8x8 run. It appears to be plenty of space. We have an option to grab 6 more tomorrow and wondering if we could fit them in there? It's just temporarily for about 2 months. Our run is fenced all around but we thought to tarp the top and put a roost outside.... What are your opinions!?!

As long as it's temporary. Too many birds in one place

I was going to try to get away without quarantining them. My breed is very docile and non aggressive and the new chickens are the same breed as well. We are building a bigger coop in 2 months. A 12x12 inside with a a 12x20 run for 30 chickens. So this is just temporarily. I have. 3 nesting boxes . 2 they use. One 4 foot roost, a 3 foot roost, 2 foot roost inside. Was going to build another 4 and 3 foot roost inside. Can I squeeze them in for 2 months?

The reason for quarantining the new comers is to prevent disease transmission more than to prevent fighting. A chicken is a prey animal and will hide illness as long as possible. In the quarantining process you would have time to observe and treat (if treatable) the diseases they may have come in contact with without having your birds exposed.
By not quarantining you are putting your birds at risk.

I would suggest if you are still planning to get the birds and not quarantine that you at least treat them for lice and mites BEFORE they touch the ground at your home.

I do not see how you have so many roosts in the coop and could still add more. How on earth do they get up and down.
I would not try to squeeze them in that small of a space. Overcrowding leads to many illnesses and behavioral issues that can be very difficult to cure or break.

Back
Top Bottom