Help-Chick Balance issues

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CloggingChicken, Apr 29, 2009.

1. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    I have 8 BO chicks that were doing fine until this afternoon. The smallest one is really suffering badly. She and a couple others seem to have issues with their balance, to the point that she is just standing with her beak on the floor rocking and sometimes flipping forward.
    We changed the litter last night with some Aspen shavings from TSC and did not notice any odd odors. That seems to be the only thing that we could discern was different.
    We have changed the litter out to some Aspen shavings from Walmart that we were using before. We don't know if it was the cause but wanted to rule it out.
    I placed some grit in the brooder this evening also, in case it was caused by something binding up in their crop, however, I didn't notice any hard lumps except for their breast bone.
    Does any one have an idea as to what it may be? My wife thought maybe crop issues or Marek's. They were supposed to be Marek's vaccinated and I realize the vaccine will not totally prevent it but want to get other input.

Thanks

2. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Oh crap...hope it's not the shavings...can you take those out completely and pile up a ton of paper towels instead...just incase it's the shavings...I know cedar shavings are a big no-no...but don't know about aspen?

Hope someone helps out soon!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by