Help. Chick breathing poorly

Sep 22, 2020
Post in quotes is from earlier today.

UPDATE:

My chick is not breathing well. It has changed drastically since posting. He sounds squeaky and leaves his mouth parted a crack size. But he clicks when he breathes.

I wrote below what I've noticed. How do I help them.

Also I forgot to add earlier that the corner of the eye seems more noticable. I only notice these symptoms in 2 roosters and no one else. The other chick with the sick chick, shows no symptoms.

"Hello,

About a week ago my blind roo was acting a little weird after drinking. I thought something was wrong with his crop, so I massaged it. A short while after shaking his head a little glob of goo flew out of his mouth (picture attached, it landed on my shirt 🙄).

2 days ago I noticed that his face was more pale than normal (not molting, I dont think). I also noticed that little gland dot on his face was more noticeable. At night if I wake him he sounds like someone who woke up with a cold, a little raspy. I'm concerned.

Also I have 2 chicks that are in a completely separated area. But my chicks were sneezing a lot one day. They have not been sneezing since. However one of them sounds funky. Kinda like is nasal area is swollen a little. You can here a little clicky sound when he breathes. It's barely noticeable.

The chicks are running around happy and with lots of energy. And the roo moves about as normal and is eating fine.

Is this an early sign of respiratory illness or should I just give vitamins and electrolytes and see how they progress? I'm willing to take to a vet if I can find one but as for now those are the only symptoms.

I read some places that they will get over it and might not need antibiotics and others say they need antibiotics and will probably die. So I'm concerned. These are my pets before food or anything else.

Am i overreacting or are these early signs I should be concerned over?

Notes:
🐓I have 2 other chickens that are not showing any signs. My blind roo is more sensitive.
🐓They live in an indoor enclosure. It was an outdoor patio that was closed in. Its heated with a pellet stove to 64ish degrees. They have not been going outside. Temp drops on occasion to 50 or so when cleaning stove.
🐓My blind roo was a Caribbean bird who lived in 80 degree weather and humid air, for 3 years. He has been acclimated to the change but he doesnt like anything below 60 degrees (and before people tell me otherwise, he will shiver)
🐓I have not left the house in maybe 2 weeks. But others do and my mother came and put food in my roos cage. She has many cats and works at a school. I'm not sure if she could have transferred anything. Or if it would come from touching packages at tractor supply from other farmers. No clue. But I almost never leave the house."

Attachments

• 20210215_154540.jpg
    20210215_154540.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 6
Post in quotes is from earlier today.

UPDATE:

My chick is not breathing well. It has changed drastically since posting. He sounds squeaky and leaves his mouth parted a crack size. But he clicks when he breathes.

I wrote below what I've noticed. How do I help them.

Also I forgot to add earlier that the corner of the eye seems more noticable. I only notice these symptoms in 2 roosters and no one else. The other chick with the sick chick, shows no symptoms.

"Hello,

About a week ago my blind roo was acting a little weird after drinking. I thought something was wrong with his crop, so I massaged it. A short while after shaking his head a little glob of goo flew out of his mouth (picture attached, it landed on my shirt 🙄).

2 days ago I noticed that his face was more pale than normal (not molting, I dont think). I also noticed that little gland dot on his face was more noticeable. At night if I wake him he sounds like someone who woke up with a cold, a little raspy. I'm concerned.

Also I have 2 chicks that are in a completely separated area. But my chicks were sneezing a lot one day. They have not been sneezing since. However one of them sounds funky. Kinda like is nasal area is swollen a little. You can here a little clicky sound when he breathes. It's barely noticeable.

The chicks are running around happy and with lots of energy. And the roo moves about as normal and is eating fine.

Is this an early sign of respiratory illness or should I just give vitamins and electrolytes and see how they progress? I'm willing to take to a vet if I can find one but as for now those are the only symptoms.

I read some places that they will get over it and might not need antibiotics and others say they need antibiotics and will probably die. So I'm concerned. These are my pets before food or anything else.

Am i overreacting or are these early signs I should be concerned over?

Notes:
🐓I have 2 other chickens that are not showing any signs. My blind roo is more sensitive.
🐓They live in an indoor enclosure. It was an outdoor patio that was closed in. Its heated with a pellet stove to 64ish degrees. They have not been going outside. Temp drops on occasion to 50 or so when cleaning stove.
🐓My blind roo was a Caribbean bird who lived in 80 degree weather and humid air, for 3 years. He has been acclimated to the change but he doesnt like anything below 60 degrees (and before people tell me otherwise, he will shiver)
🐓I have not left the house in maybe 2 weeks. But others do and my mother came and put food in my roos cage. She has many cats and works at a school. I'm not sure if she could have transferred anything. Or if it would come from touching packages at tractor supply from other farmers. No clue. But I almost never leave the house."
Can you post some photos of the eyes (you say his eyes are more noticable?)
How old are the chicks?
How much ventilation is in the housing? Photos of the set-up?

Have you checked to make sure crops are emptying overnight?
Any lesions or white pasty material inside the beaks?

What is a gland dot on the face - photo?

Back
Top Bottom