Help! Chick dying

Jeanie1

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Hi! I'm new and new to chickens too. Our chicks arrived today--all healthy accept the free rare chick. She is lethargic, can't stand, and has stopped peeping. I just put sugar water in with them and dipped her beak in it and she seemed to revive a bit but I don't know what is wrong or what to do. Important to note that when she first arrived she was peeping loudly and not noticably slower than the other chicks. While I was preparing the box and hooking up the light she started falling over and the others sort of pounced on her and she didn't fight them. I don't know what breed she is--I just know she is the rare one because she is the only one colored the way she is. The others are minorcas and easter eggers. Any help would be appreciated! Back to the barn I go!

Sandra

Sometimes these babies just don't live through the mailing process, there are some things to try. Put baby in a dark box with a heating pad under a towel on low, nice quiet area. Offer her some yogurt and chopped boiled egg. These are all things that I've used from advice offered on this wonderful site. Good Luck!

ok well im not saying this is the RIGHT thing to do, but i had a weak chick, so weak it wouldnt even open its eyes. I got a suringe (i use for medicine) without a needle, sucked up some syrup and pryed the beak open, gave it a drop or two, then let it swallow and then i had it drink the water. Then i waited. He perked up and is still alive, this happened 4 days ago.

I dont know if syrup is good or not, but it helped mine. People on here have mixed feelings about honey, so i did syrup without even questioning it.

Just remembered somebody says pedialyte!
fl.gif

Every hour dip it's beak into sugar water(1qt of water to 1 tbs of sugar). If it is getting picked on separate it into a different heated container with a stuffed animal for company. Make sure the temp is at or as close as you can get to 95-100 degrees.

I haven't had extensive experience with weak chicks, but the suggestion of eye-droppering sugar water into the mouth sounds quite reasonable. I like holding my chicks as much as possible, so you might take some quiet time cuddling with the chick and a warm heating pad. I usually will dome the heating pad over the chick to make a warm pocket of air from above that blocks drafts but with the opening facing me so I can see that the chick doesn't get too hot. After a while try adding the chick back in with the others and see if it responds favorably. Hope all goes well!!!
wink.png

keep her warm, in your hands in a small towel/very clean dishrag is fine. use an eye dropper to give her warm sugar water, and if you have quik-chik or something similar mix it with the sugar water. you can also boil an egg and mash the yolk up with some chick starter and the sugar water/quik-chik mix. also if you dont have an eye dropper you can use your finger, a tooth pick or a chop stick. be sure you make the tooth pick not-so-sharp. My mom saved the life of my poor baby button quail this way, and we were both positive he wasn't going to make it he wasn't moving and was very near death.

i hope your poor baby survives
fl.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom