Help. Chick has swallowed a string

Lincy

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2016
A friend's 7 week old pullet has partially swallowed a string. Not sure how much, but I've tugged a bit and it wont come out. Any suggestions?

If it won't come out when you tug on it, then absolutely don't do that again. There are some links here that have great illustrations about force feeding chickens. The point I'm thinking of here is the pics there might help you see if the string is wrapped around the chick's tongue. Hold on a sec let me see if I can find the link.

OK, I had more luck searching google images for chicken tongue.

So, go ahead google that and have a look at how their tongues and mouth work. The string may be wrapped around the tongue. If you have a helper, a strong flashlight and some tweezers, see if the string is wrapped around the tongue, and try to gently work it off if you can.

Google images brought me right back to a post here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/721153/help-please-my-chicken-is-choking-what-do-i-do/10
The last posts there have a VERY good picture of a chicken's mouth. NOTE that the wind pipe is the hole in the center right behind the tongue. The esophagus is on both sides of that hole.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help! It wasn't around the tongue. The chick's owner decided to cut the string. She is eating, drinking, and pooping. So here is hoping she will make it.

Back
Top Bottom