1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! chick hatched with a glob of yolk URGENT!squrit out green liquid

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs.brown, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    One of my chicks hatched with a glob of yolk and can't stand what should I do? The glob is about 1 cm in diameter. Its still attached to the shell

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    not much you can do....it will absorb the yolk ..should start walking soon....it happens sometimes when they hatch out too soon.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    It should be fine. Don't bother it and the yolk will absorb or dry out and he'll be fine. If he's just sitting there, he's working on absorbing and tired.

4. Mrs.brown

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    Quote:The chick is not sitting, its laying down on its side. Its eyes are closed.

5. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I had two that did that, and after a couple restful hours, they absorbed it, and eventually got up and stumbled around for hours! They are so funny when they first learn to walk! Good luck, I hope it turns out well!!!

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:This has happened here too. I have lost a couple, but most just need a lot of rest first. They can get really tired hatching and then the extra work of absorbing and they are exhausted.

I'm not going to say it will definately make it, but you do more damage if you interfer. Most do make it though.

7. Jacobnlynn

Jacobnlynn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    I would move it to a towel. Most hatching floors have wire mesh that can easily break the yolk sac. You can push it back in yourself. I don't grow nails well, so my fingertips are blunt. Push the yolk sac straight in with one of your fingertips. You won't make progress when they peep.. the pressure of them peeping pushes it back out. Once you get it worked in hold your finger against their naval for about an hour.. if they peep before the naval seals, the yolk sac will pop back out. The naval will seal with the yolk sac on the inside if you keep some pressure on their naval. I've done this a few times now and all survived. I wrap the chick in a dry washcloth, for warmth, and just turn on a movie to pass the time.

If you have more with 'rough navals' you may want to lower the humidity a little bit. It means the humidity was too high during incubation so the yolk sac is too big for them to absorb.

8. Mrs.brown

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    Quote:Where is the naval? The chick is hatching on a cloth.

9. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    [​IMG]

Does it look like this?

Is the chick acting normal now? If so leave it alone. If the sac breaks or leaks you need to clip it.

10. Mrs.brown

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    Quote:Yes, it does look like that except its laying on its side and its eyes are closed.
    [​IMG]

HELP it just squirt out greed liquid! What should I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by