Help! chick hatched with a glob of yolk URGENT!squrit out green liquid

Mrs.brown

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
In a coop
One of my chicks hatched with a glob of yolk and can't stand what should I do? The glob is about 1 cm in diameter. Its still attached to the shell

Last edited:
not much you can do....it will absorb the yolk ..should start walking soon....it happens sometimes when they hatch out too soon.

It should be fine. Don't bother it and the yolk will absorb or dry out and he'll be fine. If he's just sitting there, he's working on absorbing and tired.

I had two that did that, and after a couple restful hours, they absorbed it, and eventually got up and stumbled around for hours! They are so funny when they first learn to walk! Good luck, I hope it turns out well!!!

Quote:
This has happened here too. I have lost a couple, but most just need a lot of rest first. They can get really tired hatching and then the extra work of absorbing and they are exhausted.

I'm not going to say it will definately make it, but you do more damage if you interfer. Most do make it though.

I would move it to a towel. Most hatching floors have wire mesh that can easily break the yolk sac. You can push it back in yourself. I don't grow nails well, so my fingertips are blunt. Push the yolk sac straight in with one of your fingertips. You won't make progress when they peep.. the pressure of them peeping pushes it back out. Once you get it worked in hold your finger against their naval for about an hour.. if they peep before the naval seals, the yolk sac will pop back out. The naval will seal with the yolk sac on the inside if you keep some pressure on their naval. I've done this a few times now and all survived. I wrap the chick in a dry washcloth, for warmth, and just turn on a movie to pass the time.

If you have more with 'rough navals' you may want to lower the humidity a little bit. It means the humidity was too high during incubation so the yolk sac is too big for them to absorb.

Last edited:
18849_dscf0085.jpg

Does it look like this?

Is the chick acting normal now? If so leave it alone. If the sac breaks or leaks you need to clip it.

Quote:
Yes, it does look like that except its laying on its side and its eyes are closed.

HELP it just squirt out greed liquid! What should I do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom