Help! Chick hatched with larg reg lump out of butt

RMays

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
This chick just hatched and seemed to be somewhat attached to the shell I assumed umbilical cord but when it broke free it had this very large red lump that looks to be coming out of its butt. It looks like it belongs inside....what do I do??

Attachments

• PXL_20230529_054750395.jpg
    PXL_20230529_054750395.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20230529_054745627.jpg
    PXL_20230529_054745627.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 30
This chick just hatched and seemed to be somewhat attached to the shell I assumed umbilical cord but when it broke free it had this very large red lump that looks to be coming out of its butt. It looks like it belongs inside....what do I do??
When I scroll in it kinda looks yellow
Like a little yolk sac left
Was this baby assisted by yourself or any siblings already hatched ?
Can you get a picture from the other side of baby ? If this is yolk sac we don’t want others pecking at it
Or if it’s from it’s vent we also don’t want others pecking
Do you have a small bowl or cup yoy could place in the bator and set baby inside it

When I scroll in it kinda looks yellow
Like a little yolk sac left
Was this baby assisted by yourself or any siblings already hatched ?
Can you get a picture from the other side of baby ? If this is yolk sac we don’t want others pecking at it
Or if it’s from it’s vent we also don’t want others pecking
Do you have a small bowl or cup yoy could place in the bator and set baby inside it
It moved so I got a better view it does look a little yellow but also red. No assist from me or other chicks but there are two others zipping now I don't want to hurt him. I can try a cup not sure if it will fit in there. Would taking him out under a heat lamp be a bad idea??

Attachments

• PXL_20230529_055231223.jpg
    PXL_20230529_055231223.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 30
It moved so I got a better view it does look a little yellow but also red. No assist from me or other chicks but there are two others zipping now I don't want to hurt him. I can try a cup not sure if it will fit in there. Would taking him out under a heat lamp be a bad idea??
You could put him under heat but I would want him to stay with humidity so that sac doesn’t dry up
Maybe wait till those two zip out and then place him in a cup or anything small that fits in your bator
Place a dry paper towel under him

You could put him under heat but I would want him to stay with humidity so that sac doesn’t dry up
Maybe wait till those two zip out and then place him in a cup or anything small that fits in your bator
Place a dry paper towel under him
Thanks for your quick replies! The other two are hatching right now as soon as they are done I will try the cup. Thank you!!

Me again...
So this chick made it through the night left in the incubator, in effort to keep it clean and less chance of infection it is now segregated in the brooder in a clean Tupperware with a paper towel under it. The chicken has good energy level and the "mass" is drying up a definitely smaller than at hatch but it's still rather large. I've put antibiotic ointment on it a few times. My bigger concern now is that it hasn't pooped....that's a problem right? Any suggestions?

Me again...
So this chick made it through the night left in the incubator, in effort to keep it clean and less chance of infection it is now segregated in the brooder in a clean Tupperware with a paper towel under it. The chicken has good energy level and the "mass" is drying up a definitely smaller than at hatch but it's still rather large. I've put antibiotic ointment on it a few times. My bigger concern now is that it hasn't pooped....that's a problem right? Any suggestions?
Updates? How's the baby doing? If the lump is still there by now it's definitely a problem.

Back
Top Bottom