HELP! Chick hatched with yolk sack attached and it ruptured!

mr.majestik

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
GA
I had a chic hatchthis morning with the yolk sack still attached. It hatched on day 19 and the yok sack was pretty big. Now it's ruptured and leaking. Should I cull it so it wont contaminate the rest of the eggs??

I guess if it were up to me, I would cull it. ON the other hand you could try putting it in your brooder and keeping it warm to see if it will pull through. If it does, watch for infection.

Tie off the yolk sac with string so it won't keep bleeding and keep it warm and it might survive.

It could make it !!!! Give it a chance, put it in your brooder away from the others.... keep it warm.

I'd also be worried about it having access to food and water right away if it lost the yolk.

It could make it but realisticly it probably wont. If it were me I'd cull it now. My experience has been it's better not to try to rescue them. If they don't thrive with minimal intervention you're just prolonging the inevitable.

Make sure the cord is no longer attached to the chick. Tie it off with a double piece of thread and then clip with clean scissors near the tummy. Give the chick some Poly-Vi-Sol...pediatric liquid vitamins...(no iron)...1 drop three times a day for 7 days then taper off. Put some electrolytes...or diluted gatorade in a pinch...in it's water. Keep is warm and dry and away from the other chicks for a day or so...until it is up walking around and can fend for itself with the others. Good luck!!
smile.png

In my experience they don't survive this type of trauma at hatch time. I would cull it as well.

For future incubation, I would recommend reducing your temps. They are hatching too early, which is a sign the temps are about a half to a full degree too high. I hope the rest are ok, if you have more eggs due.

Jody

Thanks for the great advice I sincerely appreciate it. I made a judgement call to go ahead and cull it. The yolk sack was totally ruptured and although the chick seemed to be getting around ok it was a tiny little runt and infection was inevitable. Good news is the rest ofthem are doing fantastic. Little peeps are running around and having a ball. Here's afew pics:)

12932_img_0897.jpg

12932_img_0894.jpg

The two still in the bator just hatched this morning. Does anyone know what the black one might be? It was a suprise breed. The rest are RIR.

Back
Top Bottom