HELP!!!CHICK IS DEAD HEN IS HURT

Well it is close to halloween and lots of motion activated scary sound decor out there...

Just a thought. But I got some crow decoys at the bass pro shop. They're felted so they look totally real, was a set of 2 with stakes and clips for $24 not too bad. I just watched real live crows chase off two hawks this morning..🤞

Also a word of advice if you do put out fake crows let your neighbors know. My parents live near us and saw a black cat attacking one of the crows and my mom stopped the car and raced across the yard "to save that poor injured crow". :lau
my mom said she wants to get the fake owl and a scarecrow soon so I really hope it works

so the hen and chicks have been living in the coop for 2 or 3 days now and she is totally fine with that but now my only problem is when they eat together so whenever I put the feed out in a feeder they all run to it but when she sees them eating she will peck at their head so that they leave the food alone so what I have to do is when the hen is done eating I fill it up with more food and then I put it with the chicks. when the chicks get older do you think that one of them would be the boss of the older hen because when I had the other roosters she was ALWAYS getting bit if she tried to eat or drink and she didn't do anything so you could tell she was at the bottom of pecking order.

That's Great News!!! About them being together.
Try putting the chick starter feed in a different dish to see if that will be easier for you and them.
RIR reputation is: They are bossy. But, because of her big size and being older, she's establishing her place at the feed dish. She should not have any problem keeping them in line. She's a BIG girl and going to get bigger. Are you keeping her or going to eat her since she is a meat bird?
The Boys, picked on her because she's a meat bird. She has NO desire to mate and roos can't help themselves with their boy hormones. So, they would pick on her or another pullet in the group. It matter not to those Roos.
Cockerels want to and need to be Boss. They want the girls to listen and do what they say-Period.
Now, some Cockerels/Roosters are very nice to the girls but then, there are dominate boys in every walk of life.
So, I'm glad you got rid of those mean bossy Roos.
No mean boys allowed in your Hen house and No mean boys are allowed in my Hen house either. Lol
Good Nite!

Last edited:
@sammie12345 I have two kids about your age keeping chickens as well so can relate to some of what your family is doing. That said I will not sugar coat what I say so you can get down to business. If like us, then you have serious budget limitations.

You are not dealing with a hawk. I suspect you have a raccoon or opossum coming in. You presented a lot of evidence in your images and descriptions making me think this.

The smaller pen housing chicks is in a very poor location and the chicks are easy to grab and pull through the wire. I would actually place it inside the larger coop if you can. Then make so the predator can not see chicks unless looking through door of larger coop. This will make so you have harder time caring for chicks in cage, but will help with combining chicks with hen later.

@sammie12345 I have two kids about your age keeping chickens as well so can relate to some of what your family is doing. That said I will not sugar coat what I say so you can get down to business. If like us, then you have serious budget limitations.

You are not dealing with a hawk. I suspect you have a raccoon or opossum coming in. You presented a lot of evidence in your images and descriptions making me think this.

The smaller pen housing chicks is in a very poor location and the chicks are easy to grab and pull through the wire. I would actually place it inside the larger coop if you can. Then make so the predator can not see chicks unless looking through door of larger coop. This will make so you have harder time caring for chicks in cage, but will help with combining chicks with hen later.
i have seen opossums around the neighbor hood but i thought it could be a hawk because the day they got eaten i saw a hawk but i could be wrong, the day that the chick got killed i took them inside the house and they were there till i put them in the coop but i think you are right about the opossums / raccoon because i know that they will stick their hands and grab them

That's Great News!!! About them being together.
Try putting the chick starter feed in a different dish to see if that will be easier for you and them.
RIR reputation is: They are bossy. But, because of her big size and being older, she's establishing her place at the feed dish. She should not have any problem keeping them in line. She's a BIG girl and going to get bigger. Are you keeping her or going to eat her since she is a meat bird?
The Boys, picked on her because she's a meat bird. She has NO desire to mate and roos can't help themselves with their boy hormones. So, they would pick on her or another pullet in the group. It matter not to those Roos.
Cockerels want to and need to be Boss. They want the girls to listen and do what they say-Period.
Now, some Cockerels/Roosters are very nice to the girls but then, there are dominate boys in every walk of life.
So, I'm glad you got rid of those mean bossy Roos.
No mean boys allowed in your Hen house and No mean boys are allowed in my Hen house either. Lol
Good Nite!
the Roos were also meat birds and they never tried to mate with her. i wanted to give her to a friend but the friend will eat her and my mom doesn't want that to happen because she feels bad, so i have to keep her.

Back
Top Bottom