HELP!!!CHICK IS DEAD HEN IS HURT

Pics

mommiesrcool

Free Ranging
Jul 6, 2020
Dn
hi, I woke up before online school to give my chicks and adult hen some food but when I got out there my hen was in her coop(she is usually running around) the chicks were not chirping and when I look one chick was missing and then I saw blood feathers and a heart on the floor and my hen is missing a piece of her comb😭😭 and there's blood all over her face I think it was a hawk. whenever she hears them crying she would go out there to care for them but I think when she tried to go help them the hawk bite a piece off of her comb because she is missing 1 pointy thing on her comb and there is blood on her comb and head. I'm putting the chicks back in the garage today and until they are big enough to go out there. I started with 4 chicks 1 died because it was sick and know 1 got killed so know I'm left with 2 RIR pullets that are 4 1/2 weeks here's a video https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yocx11jRiDx256fH8

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, it's very difficult when that happens. We also recently suffered a hawk attack though fortunately no losses just the trauma. You should keep your chickens put up (together) in a secure area for several days to discourage another aerial attack, they can even attack full grown chickens for food so the hen isn't safe either. And re-evaluate what you can do to help protect them from an aerial predator... for example getting higher fence posts + placing netting or wire mesh across the top of their run area and adding more hiding areas for your chickens.

I also recommend upgrading your coop in the very near future to something a bit bigger and more secure. Because night time predators should be your next worry. A raccoon can reach through the bars of a crate or something could dig under and into that little coop. These are all just tips to help stop more losses from predators. Many of us are on similar learning curves or constantly having to adjust something to stop a predator because chickens are very tasty easy meals to a lot of animals unfortunately :hit

I'm sorry for your loss this morning.
I think you said in your video that your Hen is not accepting your new addition of chicks. If that is correct, it's important that you begin the integration process of them. "Look but don't touch".
Yes, the hawk will be back. Clean up the remaining parts of your dead chicken so not to feed the hawk.
You can secure Hardware cloth wire around the dog crate with zip ties.
Walmart sales it too..
Then the hawk or raccoon can't reach through and grab a chicken and pull it through the crate bars.
Put the secured dog crate next to the Hen house for the "look and can't touch". You can read all about integration.
I wish you luck.
Now that the hawk knows you have chickens, it will be back. NOW is a good time to protect your girls.

Since your moving soon, you can begin getting ideas together to protect them at your new place.
I know you will need a parent with you but, you can keep a watchful eye on your local Craigslist under the "Free" section. People give away good stuff.
You can also post in the "wanted" section for stuff your looking for.
Just some ideas.

Flapping wings and squawking either attracts an aggressive chicken or scares them off. I don't think it was necessarily a protective thing so the chickens need to be integrated slowly if that hasn't already been done.

If money is an issues you don't have to make the fence taller that was just a suggestion so that you can walk under it. If you cannot spend any more money whatsoever what I would do is make their run area smaller and use the extra fencing material to cover the top. You can secure that with zip ties.

As far as a new coop goes... you don't necessarily have to put a lot of money into it and it doesn't have to be new or even a coop to begin with. Think outside the box. Sometimes you can find something like an old kids playhouse or a used dog house for free or relatively cheap. Raise it up on cinder blocks ($1-2 each) to get it up off the ground and secure it put a door on it etc. You can use old plastic crates or dresser drawers for nesting boxes. Check your local thrift stores or habitat for humanity store for materials, modify it over time as needed. Something like that is probably going to be the simplest and easiest solution.

And then on that note so frustrating that there are parents out there getting animals for their kids and not willing to put the time or effort in to help out when needed. If you have a secure coop and cover the run area there will be a lot less "stress" for everyone.

Let her spend time with them inside under your watch.
I wouldn't let them outside unless you are physically outside watching them. You can try a fake snake or fake owl. Perhaps a scarecrow. Its Halloween time so getting stuff to scare the hawk might be easier now.
Hang CDs in your tree with Monofilament/fishing line. The spinning CDs flash the light as it spins. You need to deter that hawk.
I also use windchims. The dollar tree has some.

Back
Top Bottom