Help.. chick is still in egg.

well, it sounds like you did the right thing - your instincts were good!
it is scary to help them out but the feeling of opening an egg after the fact and finding a perfect little fuzz butt dead in the shell AFTER you've heard them peeping is truly terrible.
i agree with forest - a mirror, a little stuffed buddy maybe a new feather duster to hide in will probably comfort this little one until more chicks hatch in a few days.

good job!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I just finished my first hatch and I had one hatch beautifully by himself but the second two I helped a bit by making a zip for them. One had it's beak really jammed into a tiny pip and another had a pip but nothing more for a really long time. It was really scarey but I am glad I helped and they are doing good.

I had one more cheeping inside the shell on the 24th day and a small chip in the shell. I could see his beak pressing on the membrane and I helped him break through that so he could at least get some air. Over the course of the rest of the day I helped a little more and a little more until he had a zip. I moistened the membrane and he was cheeping loud and strong at 1am when I went to bed. In the morning unfortunately he was gone. I feel awful that he died. I don't know why he would have when he was getting air and didn't have much work to do on his own. He was fully formed and all when I opened the shell the rest of the way.

Anyway, gratz on your new baby and I am glad you were successful in helping him along
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom