Help!!!!!! Chick may have guts out!!!!

LopezGarciaFarm

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 29, 2014
So we checked on our hen today and we think she may have accidentally stepped on one of the eggs. The chick is still alive and breathing and even chirping but on its butt we see a bloody red... Like cord maybe and it's wrapped around on of its legs, also what looks like a fatty yellow thing right on/coming out of his vent. Please help!! Should we cull it? We want to save it but is this bad??

Hi :welcome

Sounds like your chick has not absorbed its yolk sac which it should do before it hatches. The yolk sac is attached to the chick by the umbilical cord which from how you have described is round it's leg. Blood is not a good sign as it really dosnt take a lot for the chick to bleed to death. My advice and if we're my chick would be to get it under some heat, clean the area and keep it dry. Do not try to remove the yellow yolk sac as this can cause its abdomen to come through its navel. Hopefully it won't have bled too much and it may finish absorbing the yolk. Although infection is a big risk for the chick now. Hope it turns out ok and the chick makes it :hugs

Thank you! Should I give it anything? It's not bleeding just it looks bloody.... Should we put it back with his mama?

Look at the link I posted I think there are treatment options in there... I'd keep it isolated and try to treat it by keeping it clean and maybe giving it antibiotics... That's me though

Back
Top Bottom