HELP! chick scalped & skull exposed (GRAPHIC)

chicknlover4

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2021
My hen hatched some chicks the other day without us knowing. When we saw her with them we started scanning the yard for any that might have gotten stuck anywhere and we found a little one standing on top of a wood pile super still and barely chirping. I nudged them a little and they gave some chirps so I scooped them up in a towel and have been keeping them in my room since. It’s been 4 days and they seem to be doing super well, drinking water from a dish and scratching & eating the feed. As for the wounds, they don’t seem to have any pain on the area where the skull is exposed (he’s been rubbing his head up against the heat pad) but it also seems to have gotten the circular outside lobe of the ear pulled off. The ear wound had his eye swelled shut for a few days but his eye has opened back up and the swelling his down. He is chirping all the time and has good posture, eats & drinks regularly, etc.
Been applying neosporen regularly but he rubs it off most of the time, both wounds seem to be scabbed & healing, but we need to seal his head up. I got liquid skin, should I use that on the wounds? It looks like his skull is not fully fused yet so I think either way he will be a “house chicken” for a while. I just want to do everything I can for him to get better & think sealing the wound after cleaning it again may prevent any infection?
This is current state of wounds. Advice?

Attachments

• 38F29D64-1B15-4911-AFB3-6BEE42DC89F2.jpeg
    38F29D64-1B15-4911-AFB3-6BEE42DC89F2.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 04B29560-06DB-4C46-97F1-06EF1B234FDF.jpeg
    04B29560-06DB-4C46-97F1-06EF1B234FDF.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 43
  • D8981A50-2233-4B4C-945D-DC2988E60EE7.jpeg
    D8981A50-2233-4B4C-945D-DC2988E60EE7.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 44
keep it isolated, clean it every day or more, it's siblings will by nature peck at it, never tried liquid skin, you can try making a cone so it can't scratch at it, takes time an care, that is about all you can do

My hen hatched some chicks the other day without us knowing. When we saw her with them we started scanning the yard for any that might have gotten stuck anywhere and we found a little one standing on top of a wood pile super still and barely chirping. I nudged them a little and they gave some chirps so I scooped them up in a towel and have been keeping them in my room since. It’s been 4 days and they seem to be doing super well, drinking water from a dish and scratching & eating the feed. As for the wounds, they don’t seem to have any pain on the area where the skull is exposed (he’s been rubbing his head up against the heat pad) but it also seems to have gotten the circular outside lobe of the ear pulled off. The ear wound had his eye swelled shut for a few days but his eye has opened back up and the swelling his down. He is chirping all the time and has good posture, eats & drinks regularly, etc.
Been applying neosporen regularly but he rubs it off most of the time, both wounds seem to be scabbed & healing, but we need to seal his head up. I got liquid skin, should I use that on the wounds? It looks like his skull is not fully fused yet so I think either way he will be a “house chicken” for a while. I just want to do everything I can for him to get better & think sealing the wound after cleaning it again may prevent any infection?
This is current state of wounds. Advice?
Birds usually recover pretty well from scalping injuries. Just make sure you're keeping it clean, free of debris and moist (Neosporin, no pain killer).

I would avoid anything that would 'seal' the wound. You could potentially trap bacteria inside and create a nasty infection.

Okay, I will keep applying neosporin and cleaning the wound, i’ve been using water and patting it dry is there another way i should be doing it? and I will definitely try to make him a cone he’s just very small i don’t want him to trip into his water dish so i’ll watch him when i put it on. I’m planning on just raising him inside and reintroducing him as a bigger chicken so that he’s not so easy to pick on.

I had a poor baby like that and Mom said to leave it alone. TIP: DO NOT leave injuries alone. At least wash them and apply triple antibiotic. It was kind of funny how he would only eat and drink out of a spoon. He ended up dying and was the only chick my broody managed to hatch. RIP Uno. Sounds like your taking great care of your baby though. On my part, I just say live and learn. (Pretty sure he was a roo though. At two days old he started getting red wattles.)

Back
Top Bottom