1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, Chick still not breathing ok. UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dacdeihl, Oct 1, 2009.

1. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Yesterday she was acting goosish by sticking out her neck and opening her beak to breath. People suggested it was gapeworm. The vet said she had pnemonia. I'm giving her antibotics twice daily. Yesterday afternoon she was in her nesting box acting the same but then two hours later she was walking around the run acting normal. I did the cotton q-tip down the throat to see if I found red flects (gapeworms) with no luck.

Shoul I still do a dewormer?

She also is loosing feathers on her back. She is red and there is just white fluff left. I also noticed a weird place around her tail area that the feather hole looks black and hard. Is this possible infection??

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    How old is she? Usually older chickens get gapeworm. She is losing some of her feathers from the stress of being sick. Make sure she has nutritious food and just a few treats and keep her calm and warm and she will get better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by