Help? Chick struggling with legs.

paintedsavvy

Chicken Kisser
11 Years
May 24, 2009
Pagosa Springs, CO
Any ideas to help this little one? She hatched out last night under a broody hen, but it seems her legs aren't working properly. She couldn't keep up with her siblings and got cold. I've got her under a light and she has had some chick electrolyte water. Thinking sugar water next. Seems she's strong, but just can't get her legs underneath herself to walk.
Edit: tried to upload video, didn't work.

Attachments

RainbowHen

Make eggs, not war
Premium Feather Member
Jul 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Upload the video to YouTube and post the link here. Will be able to help more if we can see what you are describing.

paintedsavvy

Chicken Kisser
11 Years
May 24, 2009
Pagosa Springs, CO
Thanks. I was thinking a leg hobble might be needed. I don't know how, but I imagine I could find a video or article. I have been helping her kind of climb up a towel which has worked to get some "normal" movement.
Seems splay legged. I would hobble her. Do you know how?

RainbowHen

Make eggs, not war
Premium Feather Member
Jul 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Sure! Vet wrap works best. Try to get the legs closer together and then use a small piece of vet wrap to figure 8 around them and keep the legs together.

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
Meyer Hatchery had a great article on hobbling, even feather-legged chicks. Basically it recommended you cut a 1/4” x 4” strip of VetWrap (which sticks to itself, not skin or feathers) and wrap the ends around each of the chick’s lower legs, leaving about 1” in between their feet. So easy, even with baby kicking!

Top Bottom