Help...Chick with hurt leg

SoCal Chick

Chirping
11 Years
May 24, 2012
Bullhead City, Arizona
My 2-week old Orpington fell and hurt her leg. I can't tell if it is broken, but she tries to stand on it and can't. Just pulls up the leg or lies down. I've seen some posts on splints/casts but was hoping someone could send example photos or give some sage advice. Am I being too optimistic?

Here you go:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
That should help you out.

I don't splint legs if at all possible to avoid. Splints are more of a nuisance and distraction than help. You would be able to see a displaced fracture quite clearly. Those are the only ones I deal directly with. Birds that have displaced leg fractures are culled because there is little chance of them healing properly. Any other injuries I give the victim rest and access to resources (feed, water), but let them heal on their own.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for sending the link! I kept her away from the others last night and it seemed to help a bit. She was actually standing this morning, though not for very long, but longer than yesterday. :)

Just as a follow-up to your advise, my chick is doing great. I just kept her isolated for a couple of days, then she limped a bit, but now she is running around and stealing worms from the bigger gals! I think a big part was switching from newspaper to wood shavings. I had no idea newspaper was hard for them to walk on.

Back
Top Bottom