Help! Chick with red stool!!!!

hetherfeather

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
My Wyandotte chick is about 6 weeks old and i just noticed today that she had a red string in her poop. its not too mushy or runny, but i haven't exactly examined it closely...
I'm so worried for her, this is not the first time i have noticed it, it started out very small, just a small dot that i thought nothing of.
Please help me, i am very worried!
hit.gif

You mentioned it started out very small, when was the first time you saw the red? If you have seen red in this birds stool before and this time there is more then I would be very concerned about coccidiosis given this birds age. Chickens do pass shed intestinal lining but in a chick it most likely would be so small as to be almost unnoticeable, I have never seen visible shed lining in a chicks stool. I have seen it rarely in mature hens stool, usually it is not even noticeable.

How is this bird acting otherwise? Eating/drinking, running around as usual? It would probably be very wise to run a course of Corid even if just to be on the safe side. If this bird is brewing a case of coccidiosis and you wait until symptoms get worse the chick will most likely die very quickly. Treatment will correct it very quickly though if that is what's going on but you do not have time on your side to wait and see as it kills fast. Always better to be safe then sorry if you even suspect a chick could have coccidiosis.

You mentioned it started out very small, when was the first time you saw the red? If you have seen red in this birds stool before and this time there is more then I would be very concerned about coccidiosis given this birds age. Chickens do pass shed intestinal lining but in a chick it most likely would be so small as to be almost unnoticeable, I have never seen visible shed lining in a chicks stool. I have seen it rarely in mature hens stool, usually it is not even noticeable.

How is this bird acting otherwise? Eating/drinking, running around as usual? It would probably be very wise to run a course of Corid even if just to be on the safe side. If this bird is brewing a case of coccidiosis and you wait until symptoms get worse the chick will most likely die very quickly. Treatment will correct it very quickly though if that is what's going on but you do not have time on your side to wait and see as it kills fast. Always better to be safe then sorry if you even suspect a chick could have coccidiosis.
X2. Get Corid, Apromed, or Amprol and give for 5 days.

the chick is not shedding red stools anymore, i don't see any red in any of their poop, she occasonally poops a very watery poop, but shes acting normal and fine.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom