Help-Chicken ate some rat poisons-What to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swtamour, Jun 13, 2009.

  1. swtamour

    swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

    111
    0
    119
    Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I came home and just found some of the rat poison got knocked over and I'm pretty sure the chicken ate some. They're acting fine but I just got home so I don't know when this happened. I have 3 RIR who are about 16 weeks old, I don't see any sign of sickness from them but what can I do or should do now? Thanks!!
     
  2. jojo@rolling acres farm

    [email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Hi,

    Several years ago, a pair of my cockatiels ate several pellets of mouse bait. I took them to the vet, she gave them each an injection of vitamin K to prevent the bleeding that causes death. I can't rember...if I had to give tablets orally as a follow up or not. Both birds did just fine...we actually contacted the "bait" company and they had no information on how the birds systems might react. We treated with vitamin K - just to be sure. If you haven't already called a vet - you might want to do so. Good Luck...keep us posted on your chicken.
     
  3. NancyDz

    NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Do you still have the packaging of the rat poison? I would read that.. most likely there is a website or phone number so you can get info. I had my dog eat fly attractant... and it explained what to do on the website and on the 800 #. I would think you would want to dilute it as much as possible with water , make sure they have plenty of fresh water .

    Sorry I don't know what else to tell you. Good luck. I would think it would work pretty fast though so if some time has gone by , they may not have eaten enough or any if they didnt like the taste.


    Nancy
     
  4. Imp

    Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

    Quote:swtamour,
    Oh Gosh that sounds omminous. Let's hope you are wrong and they didn't eat any. I can't help, but maybe someone else will respond.
    Can you post the type of poison?

    And contact poison control, maybe they'll have an idea. Try searching for the name of the poison, maybe the manufactor's website will have some info.
    Good luck
    Imp/Russ
     
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  5. cochinbantam-lover

    cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Oh my, I sure hope they'll be ok! Healing [​IMG] for your chickies!
     
  6. shortcake1806

    shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

    Sep 11, 2007
    I've read that vitamin K is the antidote. Although I think it's usually given by a vet intravenously.
     
  7. swtamour

    swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

    111
    0
    119
    Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I just went to the store and couldn't find vitamin K. But I found a multi vitamin with vitamin K in it without iron, can I give this to them?
     
  8. Suellyn

    Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

    559
    1
    141
    Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    You need to find out actual, accurate dosage. I think they give pretty heavy dosage initially (via injection), then follow up with pure vitamin K pills, not "multi-vitamins".

    Just giving a vitamin pill with K in it is probably not adequate... I don't remember exact doses, but it was pretty hefty!!!

    You need to get more info from a Veterinarian, poison control, and/or the rat bait company. (!!!!!!)
     
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  9. annek

    annek Chillin' With My Peeps

    568
    2
    131
    Mar 12, 2009
    Quote:According to veterinarypartner.com no it won't, and in fact can be toxic-don't give it. Here is their quote....

    Vitamin K1 VS. Vitamin K2 VS. Vitamin K3

    There are three forms of vitamin K but only Vitamin K1 is used therapeutically. Vitamin K1 is a natural form of Vitamin K that is found in plants and absorbed nutritionally. Its more technical name is phylloquinone. Vitamin K2 (menaquinone) is also natural and is produced by intestinal bacteria but apparently not in amounts adequate for rescue from the anticoagulant rodenticides. Vitamin K3 (menadione) is a synthetic version that may be injected or taken orally. You may even see it available as a vitamin supplement tablet.

    Within the body, Vitamin K1 and Vitamin K3 are converted to Vitamin K2. Vitamin K3 might seem like an inexpensive way to treat a pet with rat poisoning but unfortunately K3 is sometimes toxic and can actually lead to red blood cell destruction. Inexpensive Vitamin K3 pills on the drugstore shelf for over-the-counter sale are not acceptable antidotes. Vitamin K1 is used because it is absorbed early in the GI tract and concentrates directly in the liver, which is where the serine proteases are activated. It is only Vitamin K1 that should be considered to be the antidote for anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning.
     
  10. Tyna

    Tyna Out Of The Brooder

    37
    1
    31
    Dec 23, 2015
    I need help, my hens have eatin some rat poison and i dont know what to do. I have no money to bring them to a vet . Any suggestions
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by