Help... Chicken attached by dog can i save her

i agree with the everything except the Hydrogen peroxide especially with deep or puncture wounds-Not that big on triple atb. cream either (just the nurse in me) Warm, Dry, Clean- nutrition and if deep or signs of infection IM Penicillin available at most farm stores-I keep a (sick-bay) right in my hen house -(a dog kennel) it will keep your bird in familiar surroundings while keeping her safe from further injury from the other birds. This i find helpful as there is no need for re-introduction as she is seen and heard by her flock. It amazes me how strong these birds truly are. Best of luck
Should i see if the feed store has an antibiotic i can give her. To help or should i see about the penicillin? I dont have these kinds of vets near me and they r very expensive .

Should i see if the feed store has an antibiotic i can give her. To help or should i see about the penicillin? I dont have these kinds of vets near me and they r very expensive .

This is a personal call. If she seems well, I would skip the systemic antibiotics. I have had a few hens injured like yours, and usually a topical antibiotic, like a neosporin (without pain reliever, which is fatal for chickens) is sufficient.

I only lost one bird to infection, and that was a turkey who was injured badly from a mating wound. Her wound was worse that I had originally thought, and I hadn’t treated her right away. She passed within 3 days.

So she is eating her own food and drinking her own water. This is a good sign right? I have noticed some black spots appearing on her comb. Should i let her back start to dry up or keep puting ointment.im really not sure what to do with her neck it looks better than yesterday and no smell or oozing. I guess cuz she lost alot of feathers it still looks like it hurts.

20180122_174720.jpg
20180122_174604.jpg

Back
Top Bottom