Help. Chicken attacked by dog

If she made it this long- that's really good. It is amazing what chickens can survive and heal from. I hadn't heard of Dankin's solution, but having looked it up, it's got a long track record! I learn something new every day. Obviously infection is the biggest concern due to what comes with a dog bite, but it's open enough that hopefully nothing will fester- smelling her whenever you handle and/or treat her will be a really good indicator. When you feel like she's bright enough to deal with further inspection, give her a really good look over and make sure there aren't other puncture holes - look under the wings, in all the folds- between the thighs and abdomen- that kind of thing.

One potential thing to know and be prepared to do is tube feeding. If she won't eat and drink, getting enough hydration and nutrients down to keep her going is a valuable thing. Most of us use a "puppy feeding tube" which can either be found online at valleyvet.com or Jeffers, along with a 35ml "feeding syringe". Some use a 60ml but even with my big hands I could never hold the chicken and depress it (and they cost more!)- plus I don't like to overinflate the crop, so I stick to around 25ml-30ml of whatever I'm giving - water with electrolytes in one go in seconds instead of going 1 little bit at a time. Only if she's not eating and drinking on her own, though. We always keep a few of these around along with baby parrot food (Kaytee) - it's a powder that can be mixed thin enough to make it through the feeding tube. Again- only if intake is an issue, but good things to have around.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...itemguid=3269e695-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
I love this. She is eating and drinking great so far. I did my best to check her out and she’s got a puncture under bottom. I cleansed that and I will keep and eye on it. Thank you for all your support and help!

You are very welcome, I hope she continues to do well, and I'm glad you found the less obvious wound. It is hard to find every last thing under all those feathers. Given that she's eating and drinking - I have very high hopes that she will recover well! Will to live is more than half the battle.

I'll add one more word about Vetricyn, especially the hydrogel given how much tissue is exposed. If you scroll down to the reviews on the link below, there are pictures of awful injuries with long stretches of exposed bones in horses and other dog/dog attacks.

https://vetericyn.com/product/vetericyn-plus-antimicrobial-hydrogel/?attribute_size=8oz

This is from this ams dressing change. Betadine splash, patted dry, dressing wet to dry. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get Nutri-Drentch and have to order but I did get her an electrolyte supp just to
hold her over. She’s pretty perky given the events, was snacking on zucchini during this evenings change.

Attachments

• 65764DDF-E3D0-493F-8375-4A4073BBD3D8.jpeg
    65764DDF-E3D0-493F-8375-4A4073BBD3D8.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 10
This is from this ams dressing change. Betadine splash, patted dry, dressing wet to dry. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get Nutri-Drentch and have to order but I did get her an electrolyte supp just to
hold her over. She’s pretty perky given the events, was snacking on zucchini during this evenings change.

That does look pretty good! Good luck to her!

Sounds like she's a fighter! Get your hands on hydrogel, that's the same type of thing we use on people, really aides in wound healing. I found Walgreens carries wound gel, any brand would help, it keeps the wound moist and promotes granulation (new tissue) and debridement. Keeps us updated on her progress. I own 3 Barred Rock pullets , they're my favorite hens.

Sounds like she's a fighter! Get your hands on hydrogel, that's the same type of thing we use on people, really aides in wound healing. I found Walgreens carries wound gel, any brand would help, it keeps the wound moist and promotes granulation (new tissue) and debridement. Keeps us updated on her progress. I own 3 Barred Rock pullets , they're my favorite hens.

I got some hydrogel, going to use with next dressing change. She had eggs today, mostly just resting, she having solid poops. I will post pics of from next dressing change tmmrw am.

I just want to thank everyone for the well wishes. We love our girls and although this was an accident my BFF feels awful about it. She loves hearing your positive feedback and suggestions. So, thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom