Help!! Chicken attacked by neighbors dog!!

merry go round

Hatching
Sep 5, 2020
One of our light brahma chicks got attacked today by a neighbor's dog. There is proof of the dog, as I saw him in my neighbors yard earlier and there are paw prints under a tree, that look like he was running.

The hens name is Rose, and she is around 14 weeks old. She is the biggest out of our chicks. We found her in front of our storage shed. She was laying against the bottom, not moving. When we brought her inside, her breathing was labored and you could hear it. I cut some feathers around her back, where the injury is. There's puncture wounds that look deep and I'm afraid that it could've hurt an organ or something. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but she's sleeping a lot and I'm giving her water through a syringe every so often to keep her hydrated.

I cleaned the area with some saline solution and dried it off, but now I don't really know what to do. She's in a box in the house so she can recover, but I'm not sure what I should use to help the wound heal quick and easy. Her right leg seems to be paralyzed and unmoving, but her left one is still strong. Her right leg was also cold when we found her, and she either let's it hang or curls it up if you pick her up. She's also laying in her own feces and urine and just seems to not have any strength. Any advice???

Attachments

• 15993439355952464133639204922806.jpg
    15993439355952464133639204922806.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 15
Put her leg in a splint and when you pick her up make sure you don't jostle it to much. Water is much more important than what food is right now. Obviously you want to give her food but here is an electrolyte water mix to give to her to help her get over her shock.
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
I would wrap up her wound with a clean cloth and every few days reapply the solution. Do you have something like a dog cage? If so, I would put her in that then slide a box underneath her so she's not sitting in her poop. If you don't have a dog cage then you could cut off the bottom of the box then get some chicken wire and attach it to the bottom. Have you told your neighbors about what happened?

I have a hen right now that is 5 days into recovery from a coyote or fox attack.
She has similar injuries on her side under a wing and butt area.
The important thing is to keep her from fly strike, and quiet while she heals. I recommend something sticky like Corona or bag balm. Niesporin ot triple antibiotic will work too. Flys stay away and it keeps that exposed flesh moist so it can heal. Dont let it dry out. It will be messy for awhile but I have saved quite a few of my hens with some pretty bad open gashes this way.
Good luck!

Put her leg in a splint and when you pick her up make sure you don't jostle it to much. Water is much more important than what food is right now. Obviously you want to give her food but here is an electrolyte water mix to give to her to help her get over her shock.
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
I would wrap up her wound with a clean cloth and every few days reapply the solution. Do you have something like a dog cage? If so, I would put her in that then slide a box underneath her so she's not sitting in her poop. If you don't have a dog cage then you could cut off the bottom of the box then get some chicken wire and attach it to the bottom. Have you told your neighbors about what happened?
My neighbors left earlier, most likely because they couldn't find their dog. I heard them saying "I don't know where he is" and "I couldn't find him" and none of them are responding to my calls. We do not have a dog cage and we actually looked at her leg, and when the dog bit, he bit kind of diagonally. She has three or four small punctures around the outside of her leg, and I think it is paralyzed or severely broken. She doesn't seem keen on moving it, and we are able to clean off the area. I wrapped her with a cloth and it's covering her back wound, and I gave her some of the electrolyte mix. She's still pretty sleepy, but seems to be a bit more aware.

I would get some broad leaf plantain chew it to a pulp and dress the wound with it . Always wash it before you chew it up . If you don't want to chew it smash it with a mortar grind it into a paste with a few drops of water . This has been used for centuries to speed healing .
Thank you, I'll try that!! :))

Great job at cleaning her up.

Slather plain Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, or Polysporin on the entire wounded area. Keep it moist. Reapply as needed.

Do NOT splint anything if you are not 100% positive where the injury is or what exactly is wrong. It can do more harm than good.

For now focus on the wounds (keeping clean, moist, and fly free), keeping her warm, and hydrated.

Great job at cleaning her up.

Slather plain Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, or Polysporin on the entire wounded area. Keep it moist. Reapply as needed.

Do NOT splint anything if you are not 100% positive where the injury is or what exactly is wrong. It can do more harm than good.

For now focus on the wounds (keeping clean, moist, and fly free), keeping her warm, and hydrated.
Will do. Thank you!! :))

Back
Top Bottom