Help!!! Chicken attacked, skin missing

peepie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
pacific northwest
My aracauna was attacked today while I was away and I just found her. Her feathers are missing over 25% including skin. She's bleeding but not horribly. I can clearly see muscle in some areas. These are my first chickens and she is 2 years old. Help!!!!

I have a chicken issue like this too... Only my chick is 2 mths and only has about 1/8th of feathers missing... but the skin is torn apart and I see "tissues" Mine eats and drinks and acts normal... Put your hen on antibiotics in the water ASAP. I will look forward to seeing what other posts you get on this! We have has many dog attacks - it is so frustrating!!!!! Esp. when you do all you can to prevent it. Many of ours in past died quickly of broken necks from dogs shaking them... Pay close attention to her legs & back. We had one who survived a dog attacked w/ a back injury... but her wounds healed, but spinal injury caused a permanent limp. Best of luck.

It hasn't been that long so I haven't noticed anything different. She wanted to go in the coop so I let her in. I'm going to check and see now if the other hens are bothering her. I feel so terrible.

So I ended up leaving her in the coop last night. The two other girls were next to her on each side but not bothering her. I'm not sure what to do at this point, she's just hanging out in the coop.

I would be very concerned about leaving her with an open bloody wound with other hens around. Even the friendliest flockmates will peck at red, open wounds on their pals - it is raw instinct in poultry I'm afraid.

Would suggest at the very least cleaning the wound with saline, applying neosporin antiobiotic cream (the version WITHOUT the painkiller though, as that ingredient is fatally poisonous to chickens) and dressing the area so it cannot be pecked at. If the area cannot be dressed, you should apply some gentian violet or blu-kote (blue antiseptic dye ointment) to disguise the redness and ensure it doesn't attract attention from the other hens.

If she is keen on staying with her flockmates, then that's probably best for her, but you do have to protect her from infection and further damage.

Thank you.. I'm going to run out for blu-kote and neosporin now. She's a little wild so I'm not sure I can catch her but I'll try! The wound is a good 6-8" across and includes the bend in the wing.

Update... so far things seem ok. The feedstore gave me a product called "Rooster Booster" to keep the other hens from pecking at her but I have to say they don't seem to care at all. I tried to wash her but it was a disaster. Cleaned out the fridge and gave her all sorts of veggie scraps and and some rice which she ate right up. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom