Help - chicken bleeding from leg??

BelValleyDaisy

Songster
Oct 10, 2015
UK
View attachment 1562957 View attachment 1562958 Hi I need some help about my chicken...
I got 2 chicks back in April, and now they are 6 months old. One of them (April), bleeds sometimes and I want to know if anyone knows why? She hasn’t started laying yet and this has happened since she was about 4 months I’d say. Without being pecked or having an injury she will just start bleeding from her right leg up in the feathers. She’s so fluffy there I can’t find where it is coming from but can see blood on feathers in that area and she leaves a little puddle of blood. Also, she was a really lovely chick and now pecks without prompt. If I have her on my lap for cuddles like she has always done, sometimes she’s happy with it but other times she will growl and peck at my face and hands, even if she’s been jumping to be picked up.. any ideas what is wrong?

Sounds like it's time to force the issue and find the wound. If you wrap her gently in a towel with just her head and her injured leg out, your hands will be free to inspect the leg. Have some Blu-Kote or other wound spray/cream handy so you can treat it, once you find it, and get a picture. If it helps, have someone else hold her so both of your hands are free to work quickly.
Someone else here on BYC suggested cutting a hole in the tip of a baby sock and pulling it over your chicken's head. The idea is to block the vision without blocking her breathing (the beak sticks out the hole.) I haven't tried it, yet, but t makes a great deal of sense ... and there is now a toe-cut sock in my first aid kit, just in case!
Good Luck!

Picture doesn't show the leg..:idunno
If it's bleeding then they will peck themselves and other will definitely cannibalize on the Bird that's bleeding.
Hi, no the blood is hardly visible. Just the tip of one feather when it is wet but she bleeds far up into the feathers. We don’t have many hens and they are like our babies so know that the other birds aren’t attacking wound as even I cannot see it but know it is her that is bleeding. Think she has a blood disorder as her blood is extremely bright with a watery look and doesn’t clot or go brown quickly...

Sounds like it's time to force the issue and find the wound. If you wrap her gently in a towel with just her head and her injured leg out, your hands will be free to inspect the leg. Have some Blu-Kote or other wound spray/cream handy so you can treat it, once you find it, and get a picture. If it helps, have someone else hold her so both of your hands are free to work quickly.
Someone else here on BYC suggested cutting a hole in the tip of a baby sock and pulling it over your chicken's head. The idea is to block the vision without blocking her breathing (the beak sticks out the hole.) I haven't tried it, yet, but t makes a great deal of sense ... and there is now a toe-cut sock in my first aid kit, just in case!
Good Luck!
HI Thankyou. But it isn’t a wound as such. I can hold her, she has been handled since a day old and doesn’t mind me looking at her leg too much. However, she is incredibly fluffy on her thigh area and I can’t find a wound as such so don’t know why she is bleeding.

Hi, no the blood is hardly visible. Just the tip of one feather when it is wet but she bleeds far up into the feathers.
Think she has a blood disorder as her blood is extremely bright with a watery look and doesn’t clot or go brown quickly...
If you aren't finding a wound and it's a tip of a feather that bleeds, then she is breaking off a blood feather. From what I understand, pluck that feather out when you see the blood.

If you aren't finding a wound and it's a tip of a feather that bleeds, then she is breaking off a blood feather. From what I understand, pluck that feather out when you see the blood.
Sorry, as in it is on the tip of the feather where it has trickled out. Not part of the feather but just you can see a little blood where it has touched feathers when she was bleeding.

A5E4CB63-AD47-45E7-858E-E80019E817C4.jpeg
She started bleeding again today and we have managed to find a wound. Cleaned it up and it started bleeding a lot but has clotted now. Here is a photo, this is not a hole in her skin but is like a blood pocket on the outside..... sorry for graphic photo

5A5B0581-908B-4CAE-8D26-8055486657B6.jpeg
Good Luck!
She has began bleeding again today so we searched and found this... it is like a blood pocket attached to the skin.. any idea why it came or how to help it

Back
Top Bottom