Help! Chicken cannot move on her own at all!

Henhen

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2015
IMG_2097.JPG
:hit
Picture of my chickens current condition. She looks dead but is breathing, slightly moving her head and feed and still opening eyes when we open the cage. She also is swallowing her food and water that we are feeding her wig a syringe.

Hello, my chicken Fauxy is very sick. Her breed is a mix of silkie and red star. She is about 4 years old. I have 4 other hens that are completely healthy and having no issues. 4 days ago she was having trouble balancing so we brought her inside to isolate her. We have been feeding her the regular high protein feed and also fresh corn. For the first 2 days she was still eating and drinking on her own but could not balance at all. By day 3 she is laying completely on her side and cannot move although she is responsive when we open the cage and will still eat and drink from the syringe. She also has watery green poop, no blood. She has no respiratory symptoms such as sneezing or weezing. She also seems to be shaking in her feet and head similar to a twitch or tremor. We are not sure what is wrong or what to do. Since she stopped feeding herself we have been feeding her pedialyte and baby food with a syringe. Her eyes seem somewhat cloudy. Any suggestions on what could be wrong? Again all other hens are completely healthy and show no signs of sickness at all. She is just laying on her side in our cat cage and cannot stand at all.

IMG_2094.PNG
This is fauxy when she is well. This is how she looked on Wednesday. She fell sick thursday

She is dying you cannot save her. get her away from the other chickens NOW. this paralysis is very serious. when she dies, you need to get her in for a necropsy to find out what killed her. look up chicken paralysis. right now get that bird AWAY from your other birds so they don't get infected too. Karen

She could have an egg stuck inside her. "Egg binding". Or she could have " layer fatigue" i.e. loss of calcium. See if BYC Educator Eggcessive is online. Has counseled on this before.

I'm so very sorry about your girl. I had a hen who became paralyzed for no apparent reason. We gave her chickweed and probiotics, and she recovered. But we had the same thing happen to another hen and we had to resort to ending her misery.

It's definitely best to separate her from the rest of the flock as soon as possible, in case what she has is contagious. I would also boost the rest of your flock's immune systems with some apple cider vinegar in their water, greens and oyster shells for calcium.

Back
Top Bottom