Help chicken fight

So i should let them sort it out right now while i can? I really love these chickens I rescued them together and I would really hate having to do anything bad to them.
I have personally had a healthy chicken hang themselves on a kennel. twice now, it's horrifying. Make the slats too small for a head to go through, or use a solid side crate instead of the metal ones if possible. Fence fights are no "safer", I've experienced my share of those as well. I don't think there is ever a perfect answer.

I DO think letting them work it out is the fastest and simplest for everyone involved in this instance between already existing and healthy flock members.. It is what I would do, but you must decide what seems to make the most sense for your flock, yourself, and your long term goals.. with all the information you have available.

What gets set in place in the brooder gets overthrown often as the different birds hit different maturity points sooner or later.. the later developing ones naturally submit easier.. but eventually they all get equal hormone levels and gain their own confidence. So what's being described here does sound like part of the natural progression of things within a very dynamic pecking order, probably influenced by age and increasing daylight. It doesn't often come to this point in most small flocks, but it DOES happen. You haven't given enough time for one of them to back down just yet. It'll happen.

Scrapes, bumps, and bruises are inevitable when someone presents a challenge in this fashion.. I don't like it and I'm not condoning chicken fights at all, but we don't have to be scared when it happens.

I see you just posted a nice update, I hope they're through with it completely! No more angry birds, hug it out. :hugs

Sorry you're ladies are going at it! :barnie

Welcome to spring and raging hormones plus maturity.. they may be vying for top spot in the flock..

to me, and having kept roosters as well.. separating prolongs the fight.. and if done without sight of each other may actually intensify it. Let them work it out.. it rarely if ever truly results in death.. a little blood is not nearly as scary as it looks! They are equally matched, Same skin thickness, strength, wits, etc.. and should have this worked out within a few days if not sooner.

Remove one bully or one victim and there will often be another target.

Make plenty of obstacles to break up the direct line of sight, add in extra feeders, or other enrichment, and have plenty of escape routes so nobody gets cornered,

Of course I would keep an eye out make sure everybody makes it back to roost, Even the roosters (and cockerels) *usually* work it out and live more or less happily ever after. Chickens are literally always looking to one up the other and get what the other has..

One way to create diversion and cohesion.. give them something to fear/fight together.. If I got my broom after the boys when they were fighting their new focus (short term) was the broom and not the flock mate, they could care less about me. If I can see an obvious and relentless aggressor verses the one just standing their ground and trying not to get beat up.. then I will put the chase to them.. let them get their run on and redirect the focus.

Fence fighting results in injuries with no clear winner and no clear loser.. while "look but don't touch" is great option for integrating and protecting new, juvenile, or injured birds (all are usually scared and have no reason to fight) most of the time.. with both birds being strong and having claim to the same territory already, this may not be the right time for that tool.

Time is your best tool in this instance AND according to MY experience. The blood very likely looks worse than it is.. When they're mad, they're hot and every little scratch bleeds what looks like a large amount, because to most of us ANY is a large amount. Yes they may lose some comb or wattle.. it happens, even in the best managed flocks and they heal usually without any issue or assistance.. Full actual maturity doesn't come until closer to 18 months +. Live with anybody 10 months, it's enough to cause some tension. :hmm

Hope this helps ease your fear and gets your flock back together sooner than later! :fl

Give it time together first.. worst comes to worst.. some people have successfully used a product called Peepers.

ETA: change up the territory some *might* help.. take out old stuff, move things around, add something new, turn a shovel of dirt.
I know this thread is a month old, but I was about to post a new thread and decided to reply here. My crew of ladies are acting bonkers lately. I have 10 girls and one maturing cockerel. 7 of the 10 hens are about to be a year old, 2 are around 8 months and 1 is 5 months. Other than the occasional pecking order "reminder", there have been no serious aggression among them. A few weeks ago, the 7 older ladies started randomly fighting with eachother. The fights were not prevoked, just random stare downs followed by neck stretching and spiky feathers, then blam, flat out jumping at eachother. I am seeing little holes on combs, tiny head feathers missing and nose injuries. Nothing too serious. It didn't make sense to me, until I read this thread. I think the coming of Spring with the addition of a crowing cockerel, may have them competing and being hormonal. They are laying great and noone is broody. After reading this thread, I have decided to just let them be and just spray their little injuries when needed. Maybe add some things in various parts of the yard to keep them occupied. Suggestions??

@Deezchix I agree with your assessment of the situation. As the members of your flock are 'coming of age' there is bound to be some readjustments made to the pecking order to determine who is to be head hen. Each bird in turn will squabble and scratch for each successive rung on the ladder, and once this is totally sorted, the heirarchy will only rarely be challenged (squabbling will cease). The girl that takes the throne will then be in charge of teaching your cockerel manners (at least, in a perfect world).

I am seeing little holes on combs, tiny head feathers missing and nose injuries. Nothing too serious.
Sometimes the head feathers and combs can be damaged by a cockerel figuring out how to hold on when mating also.

It sounds like you have a good understanding of how they may be under the influence of hormones and daylight. The stare downs are the provocation.. if one backs down there's no need to test further. Body language is a conversation.

However, I do think there should be a limit to how long this behavior is acceptable regardless of season. If my hens were still squabbling like that after say a month (way less for me, maybe 2 weeks max) that would be a pretty clear indicator that something is off balance within the flock or set up and does need my intervention. I don't know what the right time frame is, and it's normal to have disagreements with anyone you live with long enough. But you're already paying attention and taking time to comprehend so I'm confident you will figure out what works well for your flock! :thumbsup

Hopefully your cockerel will mature into a well mannered flock leader.

I'm short on enrichment ideas today (not knowing what's already been done), but here is one link with some ideas..

http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/environmental-enrichment-for-poultry

@Deezchix I agree with your assessment of the situation. As the members of your flock are 'coming of age' there is bound to be some readjustments made to the pecking order to determine who is to be head hen. Each bird in turn will squabble and scratch for each successive rung on the ladder, and once this is totally sorted, the heirarchy will only rarely be challenged (squabbling will cease). The girl that takes the throne will then be in charge of teaching your cockerel manners (at least, in a perfect world).

Sometimes the head feathers and combs can be damaged by a cockerel figuring out how to hold on when mating also.

It sounds like you have a good understanding of how they may be under the influence of hormones and daylight. The stare downs are the provocation.. if one backs down there's no need to test further. Body language is a conversation.

However, I do think there should be a limit to how long this behavior is acceptable regardless of season. If my hens were still squabbling like that after say a month (way less for me, maybe 2 weeks max) that would be a pretty clear indicator that something is off balance within the flock or set up and does need my intervention. I don't know what the right time frame is, and it's normal to have disagreements with anyone you live with long enough. But you're already paying attention and taking time to comprehend so I'm confident you will figure out what works well for your flock! :thumbsup

Hopefully your cockerel will mature into a well mannered flock leader.

I'm short on enrichment ideas today (not knowing what's already been done), but here is one link with some ideas..

http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/environmental-enrichment-for-poultry

^^^^ great input from @EggSighted4Life and @Ebony Rose
I agreee! Thanks to all of you!

Great comments and observations from everyone!
My hens have been acting bat**** the last two weeks, and I mean truly bat****!! The lead hen was knocked off her pedestal leading to a cascade of flying feathers, and general nastiness. I’ve kept the wound spray at the ready, since ”it” actually does roll downhill. Pecking order, indeed!
My chickens have divided themselves into two flocks. One stays inside the pen with Rocky (barred rock roo), the other free ranges with Walter (RIR roo). The only time they all get along is bed time, and first thing in the morning when they are eating. That’s just weird. Then, there’s looking over 2 acres for eggs. . . . but that’s for another post. :):)

Great comments and observations from everyone!
My hens have been acting bat**** the last two weeks, and I mean truly bat****!! The lead hen was knocked off her pedestal leading to a cascade of flying feathers, and general nastiness. I’ve kept the wound spray at the ready, since ”it” actually does roll downhill. Pecking order, indeed!
My chickens have divided themselves into two flocks. One stays inside the pen with Rocky (barred rock roo), the other free ranges with Walter (RIR roo). The only time they all get along is bed time, and first thing in the morning when they are eating. That’s just weird. Then, there’s looking over 2 acres for eggs. . . . but that’s for another post. :):)
I feel you. I've 47 and several acres reserved to them, 11 are roos. Each roo has his own pack of ladies, 2, 3, 5 - and they spread out all over the property, then crow at one another. Partly my fault, I took out the top three Roos all at once last culling, about 2 weeks back. This week, I plan to take 5-6 more males plus 2-3 females, and force another mix of the pecking order.

Yeah, I try to only take out one cockerel/rooster at a time; let things calm down and also observe my handiwork before deciding which cockerel/rooster is on the chopping block next. I'm currently down to 2 roosters (that for the most part get along) and 8 pullets/hens and five juvenille chickens (less than 3 months of age).
The flock dynamic is a fluid thing at the moment and though the two guys are seldom seen near each other, they often talk trash across the lawn... The girls tend to favor whichever guy is tidbitting at the moment. I've witnessed the same hens willingly mate with each of my roosters, and I've even seen this occur in plain view of the other rooster.
Their (the roosters) willingness to share the hens has left me at a stalemate on which to send to freezer camp next. I still want to reduce my adult birds to accommodate the young birds.

I feel you. I've 47 and several acres reserved to them, 11 are roos. Each roo has his own pack of ladies, 2, 3, 5 - and they spread out all over the property, then crow at one another. Partly my fault, I took out the top three Roos all at once last culling, about 2 weeks back. This week, I plan to take 5-6 more males plus 2-3 females, and force another mix of the pecking order.
That’s a BUNCH of roosters! You are going to have your hands full this week. I wish I could see how they act during this next realignment! :eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom