Help! Chicken had a sliding door shut on her neck!

MushroomFairy

Chirping
Jan 17, 2021
I do not understand why but my 4 month old chickens keep trying to run into my house through my sliding glass door in back. Today though it became an issue. I was distracted and didn’t realize one was coming in and I accidentally closed the door on her neck. She immediately fell down and started to shake. She is definitely in shock. She was trying to pick up her head. She did it but was very wobbly. I didn’t shut it hard and it didn’t close completely so I am not entirely sure if she is actually injured. She is now resting in a laundry basket. I’m trying to get her out of shock to get a better idea of any injury she may have. Has anyone made a neck brace for a chicken before? How could I do it? What steps would you take to help her heal? I am totally at a loss. I feel so darn bad. I want to fix her. I did this and I am responsible for her recovery. If anyone has similar experience or just knows something I can do to help I will greatly appreciate it. I am preparing a dog kennel for observation after she comes out of shock. I am also about to go purchase some electrolytes for her. Should I syringe feed/water her? Thank you in advance for any and all help. I just took a picture of her and as you can see she is holding up her head for short periods of time. Does this mean she is not broken only bruised or maybe a sprain? Thank you again.

Attachments

• CB8FF4FA-8913-4EB0-8AE3-58379F3DFB0C.jpeg
    CB8FF4FA-8913-4EB0-8AE3-58379F3DFB0C.jpeg
    657.3 KB · Views: 34
Give her the sweetened water that @SmiYa0126 suggested, and you can add a pinch of salt and baking soda for electrolytes for shock. Keep her warm.

She may have nerve damage, but not so bad she'll die. She would have died by now if she was going to. You can give her vitamin E for the nerve damage, also B-complex if it doesn't appear she's going to bounce back quickly.

Can you give her sweetened water? It will help with shock. Check her neck tomorrow for bruising. Post an update of what you're seeing under the feathers. Looping in some experts here @Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive
I haven’t tried sugar water but I did get some electrolyte/vitamin packet. I am about to mix it and try giving her some. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 6
Give her the sweetened water that @SmiYa0126 suggested, and you can add a pinch of salt and baking soda for electrolytes for shock. Keep her warm.

She may have nerve damage, but not so bad she'll die. She would have died by now if she was going to. You can give her vitamin E for the nerve damage, also B-complex if it doesn't appear she's going to bounce back quickly.
Should I add a bit of sugar to the electrolyte vitamin mix maybe?

So I just gave it to her. She still isn’t moving around at all so I am not sure how to give her food at this point. I gave her a bit of electrolyte water. She swallowed that well. She is still out of it though. I’ll keep you updated on how she is doing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 6
If you can get some human vitamin E 400 IU softgels, give her one each day by emptying it into her beak. Also give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex daily. Crush it and give in her water with a dropper. Those can help with nerve damage. There may be some swelling taking place in her neck, head, spine, or back, which is causing worsening symptoms. I would let her rest in a quiet dim area, except for giving her fluids.

If you can get some human vitamin E 400 IU softgels, give her one each day by emptying it into her beak. Also give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex daily. Crush it and give in her water with a dropper. Those can help with nerve damage. There may be some swelling taking place in her neck, head, spine, or back, which is causing worsening symptoms. I would let her rest in a quiet dim area, except for giving her fluids.
I got the b and e. Do I give it to her once or daily? Thank you

Back
Top Bottom