Help!! Chicken has a bloated bottom and a skinny chest...

I am still leaning towards a reproductive issue, especially if her laying has been off. Her symptoms sound vaguely like something I lost a hen to last year: when my hen passed I did a “necropsy” on her and found a large lash egg inside although I never noticed any expelled lash egg material......is taking her a vet an option for you?
Not really, but I am going to try my hardest to find one!

Your poor girl. I agree a reproductive disorder is likely. I don’t like the color of her comb one bit. Is an avian vet an option?
She might feel better if you drained her abdomen a bit. That does come with some risk. I have had some luck reducing the size of a bloated abdomen with Lily of the Desert aloe detox and anti-inflammatories. If my hen were in that condition, I’d probably give antibiotics a try, as she looks to need some serious intervention. Sorry. :(
Not really an option, but I am going to try our local vets. Also, I tried mixing a probiotic with her food, hopefully that helps a bit. She keeps coming in and out of energetic moods and then she goes back to being lethargic. Also, I keep massaging her with vaseline, and after 3 hours yesterday, the bump seemed to reduce a bit, though I am not sure it was directly related to the massaging.

You might want to make sure she is getting enough food. When a top hen loses her spot in the pecking order, it can be a bit brutal. She may be getting chased away from the food. Her crop should be full before going to roost at night.
If she has access to food, but no appetite, that's a clue she is not feeling well. Her floppy comb tells a similar tale. Maybe try feeding her separately and add in extra nutrition... like egg, fresh greens, oats, even a vitamin supplement. It might perk her up a bit.
If her abdomen is very firm and not so squishy, and her comb is turning purple, would that still be internal laying? sadly, we might not be able to get a vet, unless people know of someone in northern NJ! My transportation options are limited. Also, she eats when its not her normal food, though not a lot. I've given her lettuce and tortilla flour dough.

I am by no means an expert but to me the purple comb sounds like something is happening that is affecting her heart/circulation. So maybe pressure in the abdomen restricting flow? Could that be internal laying- maybe, I really am not sure. I am sorry your bird is not doing well.

If her abdomen is very firm and not so squishy, and her comb is turning purple, would that still be internal laying? sadly, we might not be able to get a vet, unless people know of someone in northern NJ! My transportation options are limited. Also, she eats when its not her normal food, though not a lot. I've given her lettuce and tortilla flour dough.
I'm very sorry. She doesn't sound good.

Is her abdomen still enlarged? Can she stand?
I cannot say for certain what is wrong.

I'm very sorry. She doesn't sound good.

Is her abdomen still enlarged? Can she stand?
I cannot say for certain what is wrong.
Yes it is still large, she keeps pooping white liquid and she can stand although she'll try to lay down. Shes clearly uncomfortable in every stance she takes :(

Yes it is still large, she keeps pooping white liquid and she can stand although she'll try to lay down. Shes clearly uncomfortable in every stance she takes :(
I'm so sorry. While I can't be certain, I don't believe her condition is curable. If you think she is suffering, you may want to consider euthanasia. This is the hard part of chicken keeping.

She now looks like this. She's adopting more of the penguin stance someone said earlier in the thread. Does this confirm its internal laying? :(

Attachments

• photo_2021-03-12_17-09-37.jpg
    photo_2021-03-12_17-09-37.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 7
  • photo_2021-03-12_17-09-43.jpg
    photo_2021-03-12_17-09-43.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 8
  • photo_2021-03-12_17-09-44.jpg
    photo_2021-03-12_17-09-44.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 8
  • photo_2021-03-12_17-09-46.jpg
    photo_2021-03-12_17-09-46.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 8
  • photo_2021-03-12_17-09-48.jpg
    photo_2021-03-12_17-09-48.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 8
I think it is probably internal laying. I had a Leghorn die from it and she stood like that from the weight. She must have a bad infection going at this point. You can try antibiotics, but personally, I think it would prolong her death rather than extend her life.

So sorry about your hen. PM me if you need help with euthanasia.

Back
Top Bottom