Help, chicken just died seizures what caused this

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
One of my Silver Laced Wyandottes just died. I went out to feed them some bread and she didn't come over to grab some like ususal. She was wheezing and straining. I noticed their was white poop down the back of her. When I saw her, I dropped the bread and grabbed her and ran her into the house. She didn't put up a fight at all. I gave her some water and tried to put a few drops into her mouth. All it did was choke her I guess cus she went into convultions and kind of a seizure. I thought she was dead so I shook her like to wake her up. She came too and started wheezing and flopping around again. She died after doing that a couple of time.

Can anyone tell me what happened? Now, it's VERY hot here right now, but I've tried to keep them cool the best I can. Could this be just from over heating??? Help, I don't want to lose anymore. I just put 5 more birds in with them too. Of course they were next door coop/run neighbors and always saw each other everyday anyway

That sounds so sad and so scary. I am so sorry to hear that. I don't know what it could be, but I sure hope someone helps you out here. I just lost a chicken today as well and I feel your pain. I hope you are OK.

Losing a chicken is one thing, and I don't like that, but watching it and not being able to help is just horrible. I feel so helpless and stupid when that happens. I was hoping the coming in the house would cool her off. I only put her on a towel in the bathtub cus I knew she wasn't going anywhere.

Sorry to hear about your chicken. What happened to it? I hate losing chickens
hit.gif

Oh D I'm sorry. Maybe heat stroke? It was hot. I sprayed the run down again so they could cool off in the wet dirt. And I've noticed their poops are a little runnier when it's so hot.
So maybe the heat did get to her. Just like people I spose, some of the girls can handle it better than others. Again I'm sorry.

C

Sorry to hear about your SLW.
It sucks when you can't help them.
I hope your others are going to be ok.
Good luck, I hope someone can tell you what caused
her to die.

I'm finding my Wyandottes to be my most fragile birds of all. this is the second one I've lost in a year and the only birds of my orginal flock. I expect to lose a meat bird or a chick now and then, but not a grown bird. I wonder if I made it worse by trying to help her. Probably scared her and gave her a heart attack. I just hate this.

I was thinking the same thing as speckled hen. It seems like she was choking on something she couldn't swallow. You didn't do anything wrong, you were trying to help her. Don't blame yourself. We do that when something awful happens and think "If only I did this" or "I should have done that". I think there was something seriously wrong which you couldn't control. You brought her in and I am sure she knew you were trying to help her.

Yeah, all the girls are doing just fine. I do think she was choking. I gave them some rib bones earlier that day and wonder if she got a piece of that caught. I always check them though. Well, live and learn. I was thinking heat all along, but if I had taken time to think it through, I would have realized it was choking.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom