Help-Chicken not acting like her self

Josimariecolo

Chirping
Oct 15, 2018
I’m trying to determine why one of my chickens was not acting like her normal self today. We live in Denver & this is the first cold/snow for our chickens. We have 6 chickens who were all hatched in the late spring/early summer. They are able free range in the yard throughout the day. They all started laying eggs about 1 month ago. The chicken I’m concerned about (named Petunia) is a barred rock & usually the most vocal chicken in the flock but today I noticed she was very quiet. She kept to herself most of the day while the other chickens roamed around the yard. She did venture out later this afternoon but moved rather slowly. I did see her drink water & she did eat a small amount of scratch grains & mealworms when I offered them to her. I always put oregano oil & liquid probiotics in their water. Her color is normal, no discharge around her beak, no sneezing, coughing or wheezing, feathers seemed ruffled but tail was up. I’m 99%certain she laid an egg this morning. Thoughts on what could be causing her to not feel well? What can I do to help her get better?

As @sylviethecochin has mentioned, crop disorders are probably the most common ailment in the age bracket your chickens occupy. It's definitely the first thing you will want to rule out.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats anything or drinks. It should be flat and empty.

Petunia's symptoms point to a crop that may be developing into a problem. When you feel her crop, pay attention to how it feels - soft and squishy or more of a hard, lumpy feel.

A squishy crop in the morning could be a yeast infection starting and a hard lump in the crop may be a blockage. Both rob a chicken of their appetite, but the impacted crop will cause a chicken to crave drinking water.

I’m trying to determine why one of my chickens was not acting like her normal self today. We live in Denver & this is the first cold/snow for our chickens. We have 6 chickens who were all hatched in the late spring/early summer. They are able free range in the yard throughout the day. They all started laying eggs about 1 month ago. The chicken I’m concerned about (named Petunia) is a barred rock & usually the most vocal chicken in the flock but today I noticed she was very quiet. She kept to herself most of the day while the other chickens roamed around the yard. She did venture out later this afternoon but moved rather slowly. I did see her drink water & she did eat a small amount of scratch grains & mealworms when I offered them to her. I always put oregano oil & liquid probiotics in their water. Her color is normal, no discharge around her beak, no sneezing, coughing or wheezing, feathers seemed ruffled but tail was up. I’m 99%certain she laid an egg this morning. Thoughts on what could be causing her to not feel well? What can I do to help her get better?

If she's laid and egg today and didn't behave unwell after laying
I would say egg makes her upset some how she able to lay

I would look for poop.once

Back
Top Bottom