Help!!! Chicken seems sick!!!!

rrkrose

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
I have four chickens and one (a white sussex) has been acting a little strange and I think she might be sick. She hasn't been perching herself the last few nights and today I noticed she had a little bit of green excrement stuck to her rear. She has been eating and acting normal during the day. Tonight I felt her crop and it felt really full and none of the other chickens had crops as full as hers. All of our chickens have been molting the last few months so none of them have been laying eggs. I'm really concerned and I'm thinking about taking her to the vet on Friday but if anybody thinks this is serious then I will take her tomorrow. Thanks.

Last edited:
First thing I'd do is check her crop first thing in the morning, before she's had a chance to eat. It should be empty. If not, research "sour crop" and impacted crop. Below is a link to one good thread, especially post #13 and following

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/614951/help-me-with-sour-crop-please/0_20

Most people find vets aren't really familiar with chicken problems so you will see a lot of people here helping each other find home remedies.

Thank you so much! I will make sure to check her crop throughout the day. I actually have a vet by me that is great with chickens (luckily)!

Watery diarrhea is not unusual if they are dealing with impacted or sour crop. Don't be surprised if it's green. The nutrients are not getting through.

Last edited:
He crop isn't full any more and it wasn't really water diarrhea. It was literally water with a small piece of normal looking poop in the middle. I'm really concerned but for the most part she's acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom