Help! Chicken spinning head, flying into things, etc

eguiney

Chirping
Nov 30, 2016
Portland, OR
All - my chicken has been acting off for two days - running in circles, freaking out at nothing, twirling her head in an odd way, flying into things...I’m concerned she’s dying. I can’t post a video for some reason but she’ll stand and roll her head back and then duck and tuck it down and sideways. She’s our bottom of the pecking order to begin with, and our bully chicken is picking on her like she knows something is wrong.

In the past we’ve had chickens get old and die, disappear, or get attacked, but we’ve only had one get sick so I’m not sure what I’m looking for, and when it’s a sick you can do something about vs letting it run its course. There’s no blood, scratches, noticeable, breaks, or other physically identifiable issues.

Pic of my chicken farmer sad because I told him that his favorite chicken may die.

Attachments

• 03B93495-DA71-4FE7-931E-256FD88FC592.jpeg
    03B93495-DA71-4FE7-931E-256FD88FC592.jpeg
    769.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
All - my chicken has been acting off for two days - running in circles, freaking out at nothing, twirling her head in an odd way, flying into things...I’m concerned she’s dying. I can’t post a video for some reason but she’ll stand and roll her head back and then duck and tuck it down and sideways. She’s our bottom of the pecking order to begin with, and our bully chicken is picking on her like she knows something is wrong.

In the past we’ve had chickens get old and die, disappear, or get attacked, but we’ve only had one get sick so I’m not sure what I’m looking for, and when it’s a sick you can do something about vs letting it run its course. There’s no blood, scratches, noticeable, breaks, or other physically identifiable issues.

Pic of my chicken farmer sad because I told him that his favorite chicken may die.
Is it possible that she’s developing wry neck? And how’s her eating, poop, etc?

Is it possible that she’s developing wry neck? And how’s her eating, poop, etc?
I’ve never heard of wry neck before but could be! We can separate her and give her some supplements to see if it’s dietary. If it’s an internal injury is there anything to do or do we just wait it out and see if she heals?

I’ve never heard of wry neck before but could be! We can separate her and give her some supplements to see if it’s dietary. If it’s an internal injury is there anything to do or do we just wait it out and see if she heals?
And - it’s hard to see how she’s eating because she’s one of four, but when we separated her out yesterday she drank a lot of water but didn’t eat much. In general the hens all get scratch plus they roam the yard and eat grass (not fertilized), bugs, and broadleaf weeds we haven’t pulled out yet.

She looks like a Silkie mix to me, and Silkies do not tolerate well getting pecked on their heads.
Please, keep her separated and secure from the aggressor hen for further treatment:

• When did you last deworm her?
  • What exactly are you feeding and how old is the feed (milling date)?
  • Add a vitamin supplement to her drinking water containing vitamin B complex, E and D3.
  • When did she last lay an egg?
  • How does her poop look?
  • Will her crop empty correctly overnight?

And - it’s hard to see how she’s eating because she’s one of four, but when we separated her out yesterday she drank a lot of water but didn’t eat much. In general the hens all get scratch plus they roam the yard and eat grass (not fertilized), bugs, and broadleaf weeds we haven’t pulled out yet.
I think separating her out is a good idea, especially if she’s getting picked on. It will also make it easier to monitor her and pick up on other possible symptoms. Basically echoing everything @LaFleche just said!

Thanks, all! We’re giving her some of the recommended foods for wry neck, and probably finding a nee home for the hen who’s been getting really aggressive with she and the other silkie mix (something that was already on the table...). Hopefully we can get this little one back in shape!

Back
Top Bottom