HELP chicken traumatised!

geoschickens

Hatching
Oct 24, 2021
My chicken was attacked by a fox and saw her friend get killed. It appears as though there is only a small wound that has already scabbed over. I’ve been using salt water to clean the wound, what else should I use? Also she tries to stand but loses balance so has been laid down the whole day. She doesn’t want to drink water, how much water should I be trying to force feed her? Thanks

My chicken was attacked by a fox and saw her friend get killed. It appears as though there is only a small wound that has already scabbed over. I’ve been using salt water to clean the wound, what else should I use? Also she tries to stand but loses balance so has been laid down the whole day. She doesn’t want to drink water, how much water should I be trying to force feed her? Thanks

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry that your hen was killed. It sounds like the other one is injured if she's having difficulty with balance and laying down.
Look her over for other injuries.
Hold a cup of water or electrolytes to her beak to see if she can drink on her own.

Photos of the hen and her injuries would be good.

It can be good to follow wound cleaning with a bit of plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment or similar twice a day. Internal injury is possible when attacked by a predator. A hard hit or squeezing pressure could have been possible. Look for any hidden puncture wounds which could fester and abscess.

Do not neglect to treat for shock as this component in injury from a predator attack can kill a chicken as easily as an infected wound. @Wyorp Rock nailed it when suggesting electrolytes.

Shock can mimic injury to the nervous system. A chicken displaying symptoms of neurological injury, imbalance and partial paralysis, often recovers dramatically when given sugar water and electrolytes.

@azygous When treating for shock, how long do you wait before possibly syringe feeding some water to the shocked bird? I have a pretty similar situation that happened on Friday evening, though my bird has full balance and mobility. I have electrolyte water available to her on the floor of the coop where she seems content on staying. I don't mean to stray topic on OP here, I'm just wondering if there are some general rules of thumb as I know water intake is very important.

Back
Top Bottom