Help!! Chickens and kittens killed suddenly!

Any chance you've got a wild Tom cat? Maybe a possum?

Possums are also a possibility, but we usually see them (and deal with them) before they do any damage. (They don’t seem to be nearly as smart as raccoons, unfortunately.)
And I don’t think any of my tomcats (or that stray one-) would even try to kill a chicken, especially with my rooster around. He’d be able to defend against a cat. And he has. I don’t think he’ll be able to fend off anything bigger however, but it seems he has tried to before; after the first chicken died, it looked as if Wings actually put up a fight for her. He was missing some feathers in his wings, neck and tail. And his neck bled a bit; It’s obvious who won that time.
And with the kittens- I’ve never had any problems with new tomcats coming around and killing other kittens. If they do come around, one of my three mature tomcats ends up getting rid of him. And I’ve had a few come around before... let’s just say they were not welcomed.
My rooster has been protecting the flock more than usual lately- hopefully he can fend whatever it is long enough to get traps.
Wish us luck trying to catch it...

You might want to set up some game cameras too, inside and outside the barn area.

Sorry for your losses.

I want to set up cameras- just so I can see what it really is.
It’s okay, they’re in a better place now.

Last edited:
You might want to set up some game cameras too, inside and outside the barn area.

Sorry for your losses.
So sorry for you loss. I agree with the cameras. I have several. One picture is worth a thousand words. I would still put out a trap or two. Most likely the predator will be back and then you will know for sure what you are dealing with and can form a plan. Good luck...

We had a bobcat kill a chicken, it ripped her head off, left her there & then came back later for the body. Months later it was back & killed a rabbit, same thing, tore it's head off, left the body & came back later for it. (we actually saw the bobcat come back for the chickens body, so I know 100% what it was, I also saw big cat claw marks at the body of the rabbit)

We had a couple people tell us that that is how big cats hunt, they take the head first & it eat that, then come back for the rest later. I have no idea if it's true, except that that's exactly what they did here.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom