help! chickens butt is bare

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
So my black chicken molted months ago. Her butt feathers never grew back. No signs of mites or bug but it does look raw. She is also trying to hatch unfertilized eggs and sits on them all day. she leaves the nest box when i get the eggs. Any and all thoughts and remedies welcome!! She is the only hen out of 13 that has this problem.

Attachments

• 20210531_163626.jpg
    20210531_163626.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210531_163622.jpg
    20210531_163622.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 5
The old remedy of pine tar slathered on bare spots helps discourage pecking /plucking by anyone. It also aides in the control of fungal/bacterial skin infections. While that may not be necessary, it is a useful tool as well as other anti pick/infection products. I had an old girl who looked like that for years and after the first year I ignored it. She was OK because no one would peck at her bare spot, due to her type "A "personality and status in the flock. It would not hurt to treat the area with a wound spray or anti pick product.

That looks like it would hurt... is it hot to the touch?
its not hot. I put some antiseptic on it then some triple antibiotic. The other hens are chasing her around and pecking at her. Is her injury causing this. I know that some animals will kick out and even kill injured members of their herd/flock etc. Shes staying in the nest box and does come out to eat and drink. Then the chasing begins. I might just put food and water in the coop so she can stay away and heal herself.

Back
Top Bottom