Help! Chickens have worms! *PICS added!*

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
We just discovered that my Red Star pullet, Cinnamon, has worms.
sad.png
barnie.gif
We don't know how long she has had them, but we found a long 3-inch worm in her droppings and we saw some moving around in some of her droppings.
sickbyc.gif
After looking at the long 3-inch worm, we noticed that it had tiny white lines inside it that looked like small white worms.
hmm.png
We think it may be roundworms? And I'm guessing that the rest of the flock has the worms as well.

We have never dealt with worms in our small flock before.
So, how do we treat them? I've heard of natural de-wormers, but I don't really remember what they are...?
idunno.gif
We don't really want to treat the whole flock with a chemical de-wormer because I've heard that you can't eat the eggs after you give it to them, and our Red Star hens provide most of the eggs that we eat (otherwise we would be only getting 2 eggs a day from our two buff orpington pullets).

If you have ANY information on roundworms(if that's what they are), please let me know!
fl.gif

Thanks!!!!
smile.png

P.S. I think that a natural de-wormer is pumpkin seeds??? I thought I read somewhere that someone gave there chickens a whole pumpkin and they ate the seeds and everything else and it's suppose to cure worms. True?
Also, I will post a picture of the 3-inch worm later.

Last edited:
Anyone??? I'm really worried because my poor Cinnamon has the nasty worms and I'm trying to find a natural de-wormer for her and theother flock.
sad.png

Quote:
I've heard from a lot of people that it is a good worm preventive.
idunno.gif

Not to start an argument but.... with all the purified products with a know substance in them why would you want an unknown amount of something that may or may not work?
I do like to try to control what amounts of drugs (naturally occurring or purified) that I put into my animals......
sad.png

I'm not an expert. I'm really just replying to bump this back up to the top. I think you should definitely go ahead and post a pic of the worms you saw. Your description sounded like a tape worm (to me), and it might make a difference. The experts might want to see what kind of worm it really is before giving advice.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom