HELP!!! Chickens in trouble!

operator16

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Colorado
Two days ago one of my one year old hens had a gray, crusty, goopy eye. I flushed it out, separated her and watched. Yesterday her other eye became foamy.

This morning, I go to let the rest of my birds out and two of them have the same symptoms. Crusty, closed, inflamed, goopy eyes.

For the last day I have been scouring the internet and all my book and seem to think it's one of the respiratory related issues.

Help.

Has anyone had this? I have some terramycin. Should I put it in everyone's water? I'm very worried. They've all been together and it's just a matter of time before the 30 have symptoms.

Please, if you have any ideas, I NEED THEM FAST!!!!

There is only one vet in town that will even see my chickens and it's a Sunday morning.

had something similar, hard to tell exactly which respiratory infection it is without vets tests but my vet gave me antibiotics (baytril) I also gave extra vitamins and fed on porridge banana and yogurt mix. (banana because they love it) also mashed boiled eggs.

sorry to tell you but 2 of mine died regardless of antibiotics and it was a long hall. the survivors are all carriers for life and regularly have sneezing sessions. no-one lays as well as they did before hand either but i can't bring myself to cull them as they are my pets.

hopefully yours is a different infection but antibiotics will be your vets first move and give it to all as quickly as possible. seperate those with symptoms if its not too late.

i have my fingers crossed for you.
fl.gif

Supposedly water soluable Tylan works well for the coryza or mycoplasma (CRD).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=281711&p=1

I happen to have Terramycin (tetracycline) for the mycoplasma and Sulmet for the coryza. I personally would probably start them on what I have, see if there's any improvement and then look into getting some Tylan.

I'm not sure if there have been rave reviews here about Duramycin or not or what diseases it covers. If it covers one or both certainly start them on it then try and get ahold of some Tylan (farm supply stores only I don't know).

I know the Sulmet and Terramycin is available at the pet supply/feed stores (at least Lemos carries them both). They are definitely good to have on hand in either case but I do know that the Tylan gets recommended here ALOT.

I would suggest contacting your state run poultry lab and seeing their recommendations if you have not taken your chicken to a vet. If they are nearby, they might be willing to have you take it in to them.

Continue isolation and please do not see your other poultry after seeing the one with the problem.

Change clothing and shoes after being there as well as shower completely to avoid inadvertedly spreading whatever it is.

Praying all will be well.

Thank you all for the help! I picked up some soluable Tylan 100 g today and will start it right now. Should we avoid the eggs while the girls are taking the antibiotics?

Quote:
You've had some very sound advice. Yes, you should throw out the eggs. My vet says 4 weeks, some people say 2 weeks. I compromise- at 5 weeks. Because I see no reason for us to take antibiotics when not needed. I toss them- not to the dogs and not back to the chickens.

So very sorry you have this in your flock. They will likely be carriers for life- which means that any birds you sell will carry the virus and any birds you bring in will get it.

Back
Top Bottom